Rats and sinking ships

Rats and sinking ships
are soon parted?

Like a fool and his money? I can't blame Steam. It's the American way of doing business. Look at Henry Ford. And the herd of car makers that came after, making it cheaper yet better (or not...). Overall, the consumers benefit. That's you and me, unless you're one of the ones trying to get a high price for a set of FSX discs, of course...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

In Canada:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X Gold: Amazon.ca 3 new from CDN$ 372.35

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition: Steam Store CDN$ 13.99

Sounds like the desperate ones are FSX:SE. Probably because Dovetail Games is also working on its own original titles based on Microsoft’s flight technology; which requires dumping FSX:SE at fire sale prices to support the new development.

Mike Mann

Maybe the whole FSX:SE deal with Dovetail is Microsofts path to shut down the old FSX activation servers. So the DVDs become worthless as trading goods all of a sudden. MS could always claim that existing DVD customers can get improved and better FSX for very little money on Steam. They could sponsor the whole $5 sales thing to that end.

Just a thought.

I'm pretty sure FSX uses the same activation servers as the rest of the Microsoft products requiring product activations. The deal is more likely about Microsoft making money off of a franchise they currently aren't interested in developing themselves. They could sit on it and forget about it, sell it completely, or sell licences to the product and/or source code and pull in money for many years to come with little or no effort on Microsoft's part. Between Dovetail and LM having licences, it looks like option number 3 is the one they went with.

Maybe the whole FSX:SE deal with Dovetail is Microsofts path to shut down the old FSX activation servers. So the DVDs become worthless as trading goods all of a sudden. MS could always claim that existing DVD customers can get improved and better FSX for very little money on Steam. They could sponsor the whole $5 sales thing to that end.

Just a thought.

FSX-SE and FSX Disc are not the same product. FSX-SE suffers from compatibility issues. That's why I won't install mine until Dove or Third Parties fix it.

Corsair C70 Corsair AX850 Asus z77 Sabertooth Intel i7 3770K 4.4GHz Liquid cooled with Corsair H110 16 GB nVidia GTX 680 Corsair Dominator Ram 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD Windows 7 Ultimate all running FSX on it's own 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro and a WD 1TB Black for Back Up. Finally something that will run FSX decently!

FSX-SE and FSX Disc are not the same product. FSX-SE suffers from compatibility issues. That's why I won't install mine until Dove or Third Parties fix it.

Third-party utilities suffer from compatibility issues, not FSX:SE. Folks like Pete Dowson and many others have been 'keeping up' with the game.

BTW, most of those obscene prices are for bogus and/or pirated product. Buyer Beware rules apply.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived