Hello from a new member

avionicsgod

Hello all,

I have decided to get back into flight simulation once again. I have used various flavors of MS Flight Sims over the years, going back to FS 4.0. I still have CDs for FS2004, and recently installed it on my laptop. Obviously not a long term solution!

I actually work for a company that provides flight simulator services for the US Army Flight School. I have had the opportunity to fly many of the various helicopters, and even have flown multi-ship missions with devices that link together. We did troop-lifts and sling-load missions...and for me, it was a blast. This is what has sparked my interest once again in getting something going at home.

My first order of business is getting a computer. I have looked around and found various opinions on the matter, but much of the info is sort of old news. I'm thinking the way to go for sure is to build a computer myself. I have not looked around much on the board here, but I'm sure there is a thread where others show off their own setup. I have Seiko controls (yoke, pedals, throttle...and even a joystick). I am thinking of going with a 3 monitor solution, so I have to get all three of those as well.

Another thought I have is with Oculus Rift (set for commercial release this year I believe), but the drawback to that is that everything has to be done inside the rift. Any hard controls would work well with a solution of this type.

Anyway, just thought I'd give an intro, and solicit any advice on starting to build an immersive experience here at home.

Welcome aboard! Check out the "Hardware Forum". There should be plenty of threads with computer component recommendations from the various builders.

Are you thinking of FS2004 on the new rig or maybe FSX or Prepar3d?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Forget X-Plane, I just gave mine away because I didn't like it.

The jets in it seem okay, but there's no natural stability with prop planes and it's impossible to trim them out for straight/level flight, that's bad news for me because I'm a prop nut.

It's a longstanding issue that they can't or won't fix, a Moderator admits as much at their forum, so I'm sticking with FSX.

I'll be more into props and helicopters myself. I'm sure I'll start with FSX.

Smart thinking, FSX is the best sim in the known universe, just click 'Forum' at the top of the screen and see the amount of people 'viewing' the FSX forum at any one time, it's always head and shoulders higher than all the others combined..:)

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to FlightSim.com:D

Glad you've decided to get back into flight simulation.

You've come back at quite an exciting time as you now have a wide range of simulators to use.

I used the word use and not choose on purpose because I think in this day and age, purely sticking to one simulator leaves you at a disadvantage. Why? Well the reason being, each simulator has its own pluses and minuses.

With FSX you get an incredible enjoyable simulator which, even though it's getting on in years still manages to pull of that all important 'wow' factor. Scenery and aircraft are available in abundance and the enhancements these add-ons give to a 'vanilla' FSX installation are striking. It's also extremely easy to use and above all else, fun!

However, being a 32bit application really limits FSX (especially today) in what it can display 'on screen'. This is all too apparent when using a wide LOD. Out of memory (OOM) errors readily occur if you stretch your LOD too far and things only get worse if you add OSM and a high fidelity aircraft.

With X-Plane, there is no 32bit limit as X-Plane is a 64bit application. A large LOD and OSM proves to be no problem (as long as you have the memory) but just like FSX, X-Plane too has its issues.

As mentioned, the flight model (on certain aircraft) can be jittery with constant trimming being needed. Add a tendency for some aircraft to roll to the left on takeoff and you can see why some users are easily put off.

But...and this is a big but (no joke intended:D) it all depends on how that particular aircraft was modelled. Just like X-Plane, FSX too has its fair share of questionable aircraft, with some resembling trains more than aircraft.

The thing to remember though, is that there are some fantastic aircraft for each simulator and this is why it's important for me to emphasise that purely sticking to one simulator, does you a disservice. In the days long gone when HD space was paramount, I can understand the logic of choosing just one simulator, but with this limitation now out of the equation, there's simply no need to choose one over the other.

In terms of cost, both simulators have a wide range of fantastic freeware add-ons at their disposal, so cost shouldn't really be an issue; in fact, many freeware add-ons are the equal or better of payware products.

The file library here at FlightSim.com contains many wonderful add-ons for both simulators, so before parting with any cash...explore

There's also P3D, FlightGear and DCS to consider, so as you can see, in terms of flight simulators, the world really is your oyster.

If I were you Kevin, I'd have fun exploring the positives of each, as by using them together, you pretty much have the perfect simulator;)

Happy flying!!

Dom

Yes there are plenty of great freeware addons around, this is my current FSX aircraft selection screen. Besides the stock planes nearly all are freeware, and many are FS9 which also work fine in FSX..:)

Some are graphically better than others, and some don't have panels, but there might be fixes. If you don't like one for whatever reason, simply delete it and try another.

I find the best way to search is to type 'FSX xxxx' into the google search box (where xxxx is the aircraft you're looking for), and something will usually come up.

Also type 'FS9 xxxx' or 'FS2004 xxxx' because like I say, many work in FSX.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-ac1-1.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-ac2-1.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-ac3-1.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-ac4-1.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/FSX-ac5.gif

PS- take a look at this thread for the fantastic things people do wth FSX-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?248567-How-do-you-keep-FSX-interesting

Hey Dom,

Thanks for taking the time to reply at such length! Your passion for this shows through, and I appreciate that.

I am, as I said, planning to try several sims. I still have my FS2004 CDs, so I'll start with that once I get my system built. I haven't got that together yet, but I'm sure once I do, I'll share the details.

I'm looking forward to posting here, and again, thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

Kevin

Hi there Kevin,

Yup, FSX or it's Steam variation, FSX:SE is still the same FSX from 9 years ago. So, if you do want to dip your toes into the latest & most upgraded version, try Prepar3d, or P3D, that has been modded/upgraded by Lockheed Martin about 10 times over & above ESP, the pro/commercial version of FSX. A 'Google"search will tell you how superior it is. (Guys, no need to get the popcorn, & please no debate, Kevin can make his own mind up)

Also, Nothing wrong at all with FS2004. It just works, maybe without all the eye candy, but still a well used & supported sim.

From Cape Town, South Africa,

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi there Kevin,

Yup, FSX or it's Steam variation, FSX:SE is still the same FSX from 9 years ago. So, if you do want to dip your toes into the latest & most upgraded version, try Prepar3d, or P3D, that has been modded/upgraded by Lockheed Martin about 10 times over & above ESP, the pro/commercial version of FSX. A 'Google"search will tell you how superior it is. (Guys, no need to get the popcorn, & please no debate, Kevin can make his own mind up)

Also, Nothing wrong at all with FS2004. It just works, maybe without all the eye candy, but still a well used & supported sim.

From Cape Town, South Africa,

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Robin,

Thanks, and yes, I have been using FS2004 a few times lately, as it's all I have at the moment. I'm planning to get X-plane 10 when I finally pull the trigger on the new computer. I plan to get a 3 monitor setup and maybe even use a cockpit from Volair Sim. It looks like they are the victims of a labor dispute though, so that won't be ready until the middle of next month at the earliest. (last I checked)

I have been watching a few videos on Youtube about flight planning from the PilotEdge boys, and I'm also thinking of going with that after a while. I am going to train myself with a 172 as if I were training for a PPL in real life, and perhaps pull the trigger on that as well.

PilotEdge seems to tout its real-world feel and realistic ATC, etc. It seems like a fine place to learn regs, talking to ATC, etc, and spend the time in a real airplane learning to fly without being concerned with being a newby with ATC, etc. I hope that makes sense. As I've mentioned in my intro, I work for a company that deals with flight simulation, so I am a big believer in it. I suppose I'll be making myself a test case.

Thanks again and happy flying,

Kevin

Archived