Why FSX?

Greetings All,

I’m new to the forums and have recently gotten back to the sims, a prelude to returning to real world flying (I’ll get that instrument rating one of these days!). I’ve always been a MSFS guy and in fact, I’ve had a copy of FSX laying around since it was released all those years ago. I elected not to install it however after MS killed the product and instead went with P3D (I evaluated X Plane as well but it didn’t do it for me). Understandably, there are far more enhancements and addons for FSX than the other sims and am starting to wonder if I should switch. But my concern is, and this is where I would like to solicit some opinions, is that since it technically is an unsupported product, it is just a matter of time before time itself renders it obsolete, i.e. OS incompatibility, hardware, drivers, etc. Does anyone else share this concern or is there some twist to the story that I am perhaps unaware of? I’d appreciate your thoughts on this.

Welcome to the forum! Or as I call it....Instant insanity. Don't worry about FSX fading into the dust. With the release of FSX-Steam, it will be around for a long time. You will find all of the support you need right here probably 24/7.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If you are an OS chaser, then yes, an unsupported game will be more trouble over the long run. I personally don't jump ship until the software I want to use can not run at all in older OSes. That isn't going to happen to my Win7 for many years and until then, I see no compelling reason for me to switch other than for testing cross compatibility while keeping multiple FS versions.

Despite FSX boxed being over 8 years old, it still runs on OSes which are three versions newer than the last tested/supported version. As each OS comes out, there are more tricks you have to use to keep FSX flying but it still works as good as new once properly configured. I suspect it runs even faster on my Win7x64, modern GCard and SSD than it did on 32 bit Vista, mech HD and GCards available eight years ago. In the world of edge gaming, a lot of technology factors have to come together to create an ideal gaming environment for a product and amazing enough, I think Win7x64 is as good as FSX boxed gets. With a few more tweaks, Win8.1 also runs FSX boxed just fine but that's mostly due to Win8 at its processing core is not that much different than Win7.

P3D isn't the only currently supported flavor of FSX. If you haven't checked out FSX:SE on Steam, many people are very happy with it, it's quite affordable and vendors are scrambling to add currently supported products to its compatibility list.

If you absolutely HAVE to have DX10, then P3D, otherwise SE and since you already have FSX boxed, that's certainly inexpensive for you and a very nice sim once you get it configured on a strong machine (3.5GHz plus CPU if you want more than a moderate level of detail.) P3D and SE also require the same level of processing as boxed.

Added:

Note: Your 3.0GHz CPU is a little weak. You'll be able to get medium or *slightly* above graphic levels, but your CPU will overclock so you can get a slightly higher detail out of it if you are careful and apply VERY carefully researched CFG tweaks.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I don't know about other people, but whenever I see any sim or game that looks okay, I buy it, and if I don't like it I give it away.

(For example I gave X-Plane10 away only this week!)

The moral?- stop dithering and BUY anything that catches your eye, it's the only surefire way of being able to thoroughly check out a game.

It's only money for heaven's sake, and the price is peanuts in the grand scheme of things!

PS- But I'm a single dude so it's easy for me to splash out, but you married guys might have a harder time sneaking it past wifey..;)

If you are already using P3D, I would likely stick with it if it were me..

Can't see much point in going to an older platform unless there is something

about P3D you really don't like. P3D is basically just a newer and updated version of

FSX when you get down to it.

In his original post: " I’ve had a copy of FSX laying around since it was released all those years ago. I elected not to install it however after MS killed the product and instead went with P3D."

He apparently owns two.

"...far more enhancements and addons for FSX than the other sims and am starting to wonder if I should switch. But my concern is, and this is where I would like to solicit some opinions, is that since it technically is an unsupported product, it is just a matter of time before time itself renders it obsolete..."

Since you already own it, what's the risk other than your time?

How much time do you expect to use a product you purchase? If it stops working in 2 years, 5 years, 10? Hundreds of people people on this web site predicted the end of FSX years ago and vendors who depend on this software for their income are still producing add-ons and upgrades to their add-ons.

When you say MS "killed" the product, you obviously meant stopped developing it.

A testament to how good is was is it's still being used over eight years later and if anything, it's popularity and use may be increasing.

If you have P3D and like it, then what's the big deal. Eventually the popular add-ons will get developed for it. My impression is you are getting impatient and wondering if you should jump ship only to have FSX boxed suddenly stop working.

All you have to do is keep that computer and OS running and FSX will keep running until the hardware dies and you cannot get the parts anymore. All that seems pretty remote to me. from my experience, software "dies" when you no longer have any use for it, not because the vendor is not creating new versions.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Archived