ILS at KFLG is off

dwf2008

I have tried several ILS flights into Flagstaff AZ KFLG runway 21, runway freq 110.50. The localizer always pulls the plane in at a skew angle such that the plane immediately runs off the runway and into obstacles (unless I fly it in manually). Is there a file I can edit to correct this? It is the default FSX Gold setup. REX is the only add on.

Thanks

If you check the approach chart, you'll find the localizer is offset 3º. In a web search I saw other complaints of the same nature clear back in 2003. In other words, it's normal.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Did you try vertical decent ?

Set vertical decent to (between) 900-1100 feet min

press on it once you catch the localizer.

I've done it a couple of times, its not the real nav way but it helps :)

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

normal, as lnuss said.

ILS is not to get you aligned and perfectly on the runway. It is to help you descend to the runway clear of the surrounding mountains.

It does get you perfectly aligned sometimes, but not Always.

Disconnect autopilot (or just appr mode) a bit early, and (hand)fly the last bit yourself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you check the approach chart, you'll find the localizer is offset 3º. In a web search I saw other complaints of the same nature clear back in 2003. In other words, it's normal.

Thanks inuss. How do you check the approach chart?

I googled for "kflg approach chart" (without the quotes, of course), and the first item I found was the AirNav page. Towards the bottom of the page you can download approach charts for the airport. airportguide.com/ also has them, and probably others that I didn't bother checking.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

If you look at the FAA chart, it says:

"Simultaneous reception of I-FLG and FLG DME required. Auto coupled approach not authorized below 7640 feet MSL. "

Also when you look at the little plan view of the airport in the corner, it shows the LOC as a circle (with dot in center) abeam the runway. FAA charts only show the LOC when it is an offset localizer approach. No doubt the high terrain to the north is why the approach is offset.

scott s.

Archived