Starting the default DC-3

Hi,

I have a flight which I had saved cold and dark. I changed the aircraft to the DC-3 and couldn't start it without using Ctrl+E. Once started and shut down it restarts fine. After being started and shut down the sound from the boost pumps can also be heard; the labeling is wrong but that's for another time.

Any ideas?

Jim F.

A simple troubleshooting step. Start a new flight using the DC-3 and see if it starts up correctly the way you want it to. Sometimes using a saved flight and switching aircraft gives you the Heebie Jeebies! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I did this: started flight on RW, closed fuel valves which killed engines.

I also killed all lights. And killed the "radio master" button. Switced ignition to "off", and starters L and R to off.

Waited 10 mins so engine could cool down.

Then to start:

fuel valve 1&2 (on throttle panel) both to "all"

On second thought, I used contr-1 and contr-2 (shortcuts) for fuel valve 1&2. The switch on the throttle panel did not move, so maybe shortcuts are a better bet.

switch on master battery, generator1, generator2. (make sure batt is full, no lights on)

set magneto switches 1&2 to "both". (below starter switch).

master ignition to "on". (below starter switch).

mixture and prop (throttle panel) to 100%.

throttle lever to 0%

click starter left, left engine starts.

click starter right, right eng starts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi il88pp and others,

I didn't want to lead anyone astray by detailing what I tried, but once the aircraft has been started no matter what I do it always starts normally. I think the biggest clue is initially the boost pumps will not run. It sounds like the electricity is not always available.

I'll keep investigating. I thought someone might already know the answer.

The differences between the Electrical sections of the Aircraft.cfgs of the DC-3 and C172 are striking, to say the least, and may be a clue to the problem. Perhaps something in the .air file?

Jim F.

Sounds like there is an External Power hook-up someplace you are either missing, or forgetting to do. IIRC it needs an external power connection to start at least the first engine, to get the battery charged up and provide enough juice for the first engine start, then that engine can provide the oomph! to start the second engine.

I think, although I' not certain, the engaging the parking brake connects to the ground power cart when cold-n-dark, so you can power up the panel, start the boost pumps, and have enough juice for the first engine start, but I've been wrong before...

That's my thought, and I get them so seldom, enjoy it while it's there :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Now look what you made me do! FLying the blasted thing LFPG-EIDW as we speak.

So Testing more will take a while...

Actually, I don't expect I will come up with a solution. I never use a cold and dark default flight.

If cold and dark start is what I want I just start a flight, switch off engines, and watch some futurama. Then reset time and date, do the walkaround, and clamber into the cockpit.

Probably more a question for the Zipster...

:)il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just for the record, I can never get aircraft started after sitting cold and dark. The birds do start if the batteries have not run down. If the batteries have drained then that's when I cant get the planes started again.

Hi,

Problem solved! I just refused to open my eyes. Still baffled by the sound of the boost pumps however. Because of the ambient noise of where the DC-3 was located I changed to a different airport and the boost pumps could clearly be heard. After a Ctrl-E start they could be heard at the original location so I'm still not sure what's going on with that.

At the new location I tried to start without success so I saved the flight. I then used Ctrl+E and immediately shut down and saved the flight again. I compared the two saves and saw that besides some negligible differences the initial save showed the mixture at essentially zero. Not so after the start.

I reloaded the initial problem flight and it was immediately obvious that the VC mixture levers were at minimum. My yoke lever was at maximum and when I barely touched it those in the VC jumped to match that of my yoke.

Good demonstration of doing a proper pre-flight.

Now to continue my tour of George Keough's fine freeware Hawaiian airports.

2015-3-3_17-52-15-524.jpg

Jim F.

P.S. I did find that the Boost Pump and Tailwheel Lock VC displays are opposite of what's indicated.

Archived