Throttle Null Zone Problem

Yajvan

Hi guys,

I am using a USB Joystick branded "Genius". The throttles were working fine till now. But today while landing at Dallas, when I pulled my throttle completely backwards, it din't even come to 0%. It was at 50%. I tried editing the 1 to 0 in the Standard.XML it keeps coming back whenever I restart FSX. I searched over so many sites but I could not find a solution to my problem. Please help.

Whoa!!! There are other things to try before you go to such drastic measures.

A reinstall is the very last resort.

Try Calibrating your stick in Windows. Control Panel->Devices and Printers.

Right click the Genius, Game controller settings. Highlight the controller->Properties.

Once the Windows Calibration is done launch FSX and do it there too.

Options/Settings/Controls->Calibrate...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Ditto on what Don said. But, the way to do this is: First calibrate joy by going to Control Panel and dbl click on Joystick icon, then properties and then calibrate. If you joy has proprietary software then do it thru that. NOW, start FSX, go to Controls and set throttle Sensitivity to 95% and Null to 5%. Ok out. Then go Options/Settings/Controls->Calibrate (like Don said). BUT, when you are calibrating it in FSX set your joy slider to 'zero' when you come to the throttle calibrate window. And while you can see the 'data', tape it down or jam it in place with a strip of plastic. This is important. Finish with calibration. Now when you fly you can use the F1 thru F4 keys for throttle and things will work perfect. Don't want to 'look & reach' for F1 thru F4 keys? Get a USB kepad (Targus PAUK10U works great), set it left side of keyboard and map keys to sub for F1 thru F4 plus other functions. See pic. I have had this setup for 10 years and I am an extremely and hilariously happy camper.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

happy valentine,

@napamule2 I tried what you said. It works but its hard to play with it. Especially when I am landing, its hard to control the throttle.

@Scatterbrainkid I don't think so, because I've been using this joystick for 6 years in flight simulator and I did not get any such problem.

@fxttcb tried calib.. but works perfectly there but ingame, i see the throttle not going to 0%

When you have a slider for throttle you don't know how much a 'nudge' on slider will be equal to (% power). With press of F1 thru F4 keys, a tap on F3='set' increase which can be overwritten with 2 presses of F2 (ha!).

So please NOTE: 1 press of F2 is NOT equal to 1 press of F3. Believe me. But you can better control throttle QUICKLY (+ or -) with a keypad. That is what it's for. Precise throttle control. I couldn't fly helicopters (with any precision) if it wasn't for the keypad set up. Don't give up. Re-Do calibration? You have to follow instructions to the letter or it won't 'take' (or you will be left with what you had before). Get technical. The joy is your #1 priortity.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried a different USB port?

With the Joy slider at min throttle, does pressing F1 give "0" throttle?

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

With the joy slider at min throttle, pressing F1 gave me 0% throttle.
If you move the throttle slider, even a little bit, does it jump back up?

Have you started with a fresh default Standard.xml? It may be corrupt.

With FSX closed, rename it to Standard.bak. Launch FSX.

It will create a new Standard.xml

You'll have to re-do custom button assignments etc. Calibrate it from FSX and try it...Don

If the slightest touch of the throttle, even no touch at all, increases thrust to 60%, this is an issue with calibration.

Use the calibration in fsx-options-settings-controls to calibrate your joystick.

(I assume the joystick did not come with it's own calibration software. If it did, tell us, and use that to calibrate also. Maybe reinstall the software.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's starting to sound as if you have AP and Auto Throttle switched 'ON'. In fact, if you don't have AP 'ON', but have Auto Throttle 'On' the sim will STILL try to give you whatever speed (throttle %) you have dialed in even if AP is not 'ON'. If this IS the case, the F1 thru F4 keys will NEVER work (ie: your throttle will be 'stuck' at 60% or whatever.

Chuck B

Napamule

If the slightest touch of the throttle, even no touch at all, increases thrust to 60%, this is an issue with calibration.

Use the calibration in fsx-options-settings-controls to calibrate your joystick.

(I assume the joystick did not come with it's own calibration software. If it did, tell us, and use that to calibrate also. Maybe reinstall the software.)

Thank you so much! now got it fixed. I can now land in peace without the throttle going to 60% by itself. :)

Once the Windows Calibration is done, launch FSX and do it there too.

Options/Settings/Controls->Calibrate...Don

Kinda, odd, it didn't work the first time around.:confused: ...Don

Archived