P3D 2.5 has been released

vgbaron

Awesome news! Downloaded the new version earlier today. I'm glad that I didn't install a bunch of addons before 2.5 came out :)

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

I always treat the need for a reinstall as a chance to really decide whether that `must have` addon is actually worthy of reinstalling.

It never ceases to surprise how often the answer is `no`.

Exactly! A perfect time to clean your system - I do the same. Sure wish I could get back the $$$ I've spent on some of those though! :)

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

As an aside, when installing 2.5 I took the opportunity to NOT delete the main Prepar3d folder as advised, and having deleted the 2.4 installation and other supporting folders I installed 2.5 into the still-active folder.

This leaves ALL the aftermarket addons in situ, but the new scenery .cfg won't pick up on the FTX and other addons that have problems with the new file format. I expect this will ease re-installation of those in the days to come, while ALL the addon aircraft, gauges, files and folders were just picked up as before.

This might save some people quite a bit of time.

I didn't have any addon scenery in 2.4 since I knew 2.5 was in the works. Only had FS Captain and one addon aircraft installed :) Now I have to wait for ASN and FS Captain to catch up with 2.5....no hurry though :)

As an aside, when installing 2.5 I took the opportunity to NOT delete the main Prepar3d folder as advised, and having deleted the 2.4 installation and other supporting folders I installed 2.5 into the still-active folder.

This leaves ALL the aftermarket addons in situ, but the new scenery .cfg won't pick up on the FTX and other addons that have problems with the new file format.

Would it be helpful to make Backups from P3D 2.4 important files such as Scenery.cfg and then replacing them after installing 2.5 ?

Alfons

I don't think it would really be wise to try to use old cfg files with 2.5.

It seems to be a different animal in a number of ways, for example I find I can not "import" scenery into the sim using the scenery library as I used to do in previous versions.

Also I tried to copy my FSX Lear45 folder into simobjects and found the aircraft did not show up in the available vehicles list. Odd, always did before.

These may be bugs, but various internal changes have been made and I think a completely fresh install, which means waiting for updated installers in some add-on cases would be the best plan.

I tried to con it into accepting my Orbx scenery by moving the terrain.cfg about (sensibly!) but ended up with no sea. Failure. So I reinstalled 2.5 and left the scenery as it is until new installers are released.

Would it be helpful to make Backups from P3D 2.4 important files such as Scenery.cfg and then replacing them after installing 2.5 ?

Alfons

Absolutely NOT. Follow the full instructions or else you are headed for a world of pain. The ONLY exception is not deleting the original Prepar3d folder so that the uninstall routine leaves behind all the addon folders and files from aircraft (and scenery).

The aircraft and sundry addons should be OK, but as johnan says you do not re-install scenery until the new installers are released or until the developer or publisher tells you they are OK to re install with their current format.

Performance wise I find it to be the worst yet. True the bridge pillars are fixed but man, my performance is way worst than previous versions. Getting strange errors also. Got a panel.dll error last night. NEVER seen that one before. Could be the a/c also.

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

torkermax, my findings are diametrically opposed to yours.

Smoother, more consistent frame rate, and far better VAS management - and all that with no tweaking of the prepar3d.cfg, save for

UseGlobalTerrainView=True

Suggests you have an installation issue or hardware problem. Suggest you start your own topic to deal with this. Dont forget to supply the `How`of your re-installation as this is proving to be the source of many of the problems reported.

Well, I believe all my woas may have been one particular aircraft kinda made for P3d but still in alpha testing. All other aircraft seem to perform very well. Clouds are still a performance killer in P3D for me but they are in any sim, MS, Xplane etc though P3D seems to be the worst. Everything seems to be copacetic now. :)

CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970

MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900

MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

"UseGlobalTerrainView=True"

What is this suppose to accomplish? Is it placed in the Main section or?

Joe - it's supposed to eliminate the blurry mess you sometimes get when changing views. Set to TRUE, it just loads once rather than reloading each view change.

t is already in the cfg file but it defaults to FALSE - chenge it to TRUE if you wish to use it.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

"UseGlobalTerrainView=True"

What is this suppose to accomplish? Is it placed in the Main section or?

From the Learning Center

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/performance/tuning_guide.html

By default, every camera has its own terrain view which requests texture and dem tiles near the camera to ensure that all cameras get a quality view of terrain. When tessellation is enabled, it is possible for cameras to share data and avoid the extra work required to manage multiple terrain views. For multi-view scenarios in which all views are near each other, it may be desirable to have views simply render the terrain tiles loaded by the default view. Setting this option to True will prevent all camera from creating a terrain view except for the default 3d view. This can help avoid texture flashing and terrain spikes that occur on some systems with multiple views and/or multiple video cards. This value can be overridden by the UseGlobalTerrainView entry in a given CameraDefinition allowing each camera to determine whether or not to create a terrain view. This setting will be engorged if Tessellation is not enabled.

Archived