Helping a WW2 Pilot get into FSX

pclancy

Hello all,

I'm building a 90 year old Gentleman who flew RAF B24 Libertors in WW2 get his first flight simulator.

As this will be his first time ever doing anything like this with a computer there will be a steep learning curve.

I happen to live a long way away from him and will be sending the new system by courier, then hopefull helping him remotely by phone and Teamviewer to get started.

What I'm keen for is to hear from other seniors who have gone through this experience, I'm trying to think ahead of time of what he's going to need. What did you use to help you get started? What works best for this kind of training? Books? Videos? Being shown what to do?

So far I think it would be a great idea for him to print out all the key commands and do the flying lessons that are built into FSX. Then maybe look at some Youtube videos and the like. This official site looks good too: http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/product/learning/Pages/default.aspx

So if you have any recommendations as a newcomer to FSX of the methods and resources that worked best fot you please let me know.

"I'm building a 90 year old Gentleman, who flew RAF B24 Liberators in WW2, his first flight simulator."

This way it doesn't sound like you're Dr. Frankenstien building a 90 year old man!

My main concern for this Gentleman would be his skill at using a computer and being able to edit files, unless that is going to be the help provided by you.

Going through the Tutorial Missions and the flying lessons would be the best way to get him started. It will mean repetition and lots of practice for him before moving on to the next level. There are lots of us on the forum willing to help out where we can.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

..As this will be his first time ever doing anything like this with a computer there will be a steep learning curve...

Not necessarily!

Remember FSX can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

For example I can jump in any FSX plane, slam open the throttle and I'm away, and I only need half-a-dozen key presses which I've memorised, so I suggest that's what your mate should do to begin with..:)

Would suggest downloading this http://www.hangartaborno dot com/misce/fs9teclado.pdf I know its for FS9 but most of it is compatible with FSX.

First I would suggest that he has a joystick with rudder & throttle.

Then to know how to switch between views & to zoom in & out. (+/- keys)

After that to change the eyepoint SHIFT+ ENTER for example especially if he likes flying in 2D.

I hope you are supplying him with a stable software like W7 probably best because of the slightly more complex W8.1, although if he is not used to any other computer software I doubt it would make much difference. Normal MS updates are what he will have to get used to also......as well as any anti-virus software.

There are a lot of built in models that should satisfy his initial trials, but he should note that not all models taxy easily...DH 88 for example!

After that I dont think flying will be much of a problem with his experience.

Good luck

Keith

P.S. Turn off Crash & turn on unlimited fuel initially, modify the FSX.cfg to take out the annoying g effect ..........plus make reality easy. Dont forget to turn off the thermal effect.... When he gets better at it then he can turn them up. There might be some more but cannot bring them to mind at the moment...(old age...?)

• 2 weeks later...

I was a total beginner at flying. Not a ex real world pilot.

And I'm not a senior, though when I say my age I have had people say: "wow! you're so old...":)

That said, I had loads of fun the first three months with no more then my computer and fsx.

Using the keyboard at first isn't all that bad. And it keeps it simple. You quickly learn the important keys, and which keys are 'important later'.

No need to confuse an old man with all kinds of controllers and addon aircraft. It could easily cause information overload, and even could make him go off of fsx.

Just set up a basic system, and let him do some basic flights in something as 'simple' as the ultralight. Even landing that safely could take him a few try's!!!

Ultralight is also a good way to learn how elevator (elevator trim!!) is used to adjust speed, and how throttle is used to climb/descend.

The ultralight also offers much better views of the scenery then the larger aircraft that fly faster. Especially for tired eyes.

And please don't switch crashes off for him. Better to crash a few times first, and to slowly learn to perfect a landing, then to never learn at all. (if you switch crashes off you could just as well start by flying the 737, not a good idea.)

When he gets his first few landings under his belt he'l be wanting to move up to larger aircraft soon enough. That would be a good time to buy him a simple joystick like the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Has a few buttons to assign usefull functions to, and has a throttle control built in. By twisting the joystick left-right you controll the rudder. Also easy to set up, no driver required.

With only fsx and a simple joystick you can have years of fun. No payware needed at all.

Keep it simple, both for him and for yourself. Don't set it up so he needs your prescence to be able to fly. Especially with you living some distance away. Give him a simple system that he can controll and use himself.

And good luck, Really nice of you to do this for him.

Enjoy!

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived