fsx on windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

wolf2

on previous systems, i was able to regain what fs9 called the "fixed spot view" by making the below modification:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?155137-spot-view-in-fsx-problem-solved-!!!!!!

but in win 7 home prem 64 bit that doesnt work. any help here? i'm trying to achieve what u get in fs9 when u choose spot veiw, then the "fixed" option. the camera doesnt try to keep the same view of the plane as it maneuvers (which i find extremely annoying), it just lets u fly around as if u were watching from a fixed location.

Phil Colvin

Instead of "Fixed Spot" how about a "Locked Spot" view? Are you saying that if you are viewing your aircraft from a chase position, you want the scenery steady and the aircraft to rotate when banking or doing a roll?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

thanks darrell, that figures, but it's also why i'm confused. it doesnt appear there that i can see, it still appears here in the outer marker.

edit: ah, there we go. there was quite a long lag time bfore i saw it in the fsx forum.

zippy, no, locked spot is something else. i know from experience this can be a tricky thing to describe verbally. do u have fs9 (fs2004)? if so and u choose the view i described, you'll see exactly what i mean. i just dont know how to explain it more clearly than i did above.

Phil Colvin

Nope, don't have FS9, but I do understand the fixed spot view.

Which are you looking for? Choose from Column A or Column B. With 2 you get eggroll....errr aileron roll.

Column A

column A.JPG

Column B

column B.JPG

From my camera.cfg file. Works for me.....

[CameraDefinition.003]

Title = Fixed Spot //Locked Spot

Guid = {BCA3FDD1-FB83-4BBA-8407-4922A7F0D00C}

Description = This is the description of the spot view.

Origin = Center

SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal //Swivel

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

Track = FixedChase // FlatChaseLocked //

ShowAxis = No

AllowZoom = Yes

InitialZoom = 1.0

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = FALSE

Transition = Yes

ShowLensFlare=TRUE

Category = Outside

ClipMode = Spot

PitchPanRate=30

HeadingPanRate=75

PanAcceleratorTime=0

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

wolf2,

As far as I am concerned you can have 'Spot' view, but you better not mess with my 'Locked Spot' view!!! I can land (anything/everything) when in Locked Spot view, but I would crash (or tear something up) if I used 'Spot' view.as it has 'momentum'!! (which I hate!). (Maybe this (momentum) is the 'jerky' effect you said you see? Maybe? It better be, or else you will need a NEW COMPUTER (ha)). You can try adding line 'MomentumEffect = NO' to 'spot' camera view. It might help.

When you say 'Fixed Spot' that is not the same as 'Locked Spot' view. (ie: 'Title = Fixed Spot //Locked Spot'). I have FS9. In 'fixed' view you get the 'effect' you are seeking (ie: 'Track = FixedChase'). In FSX spot does not do that. So you are confused? Or maybe used wrong term to describe? Terminology is useful only if you are ACCURATE with the words used to describe something. Otherwise you have confusion.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I can land (anything/everything) when in Locked Spot view, but I would crash (or tear something up) if I used 'Spot' view.

Chuck B

Napamule

Chuck, your fanny needs to be in the pilot's seat when landing an aircraft! ;)

I think wolf2 needs to explain a little bit better what he desires. We're all just speculating until then.

il88p and w2dr, you gents are on the right track, thanks. zippy, take a look at that link il88pp provides. it was described in a better way than i was able to think of. that bit it mentions about the camera "keeping the same compass heading" is a good way to describe it. that's something fsx will not do by default, and i really prefer it. also take a look at the link i provided to my own post from 2006. this gave the desired view with fs10 installed in windows xp, but wasnt doing the trick in win 7. however, i think the link il88p provided might have an answer, since different versions of windows put certain files in defferent places. will give that a try. thanks, guys!

Phil Colvin

I have both FS9 and FSX Acceleration. I went into FS9 and did 'View Options' and chose 'Fixed'. I can do a 360 circle and the view starts as 'Spot' view but as I turned the view changed as 'Left Wing' view then 'Nose' and then 'Right Wing' and finally back to 'Spot' view. Very interesting, but no my bag.

I went and changed the lines 'SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal //Swivel' and 'Track = FixedChase //FlatChaseLocked' to the [CameraDefinition.003] Cameras.cfg and I got the same effect as I did in FS9. So that is what you need.

All you have to do is to find 'Cameras.cfg' in that patch they gave you. BUT. Win 7 may not let you CHANGE the cameras.cfg file. To get around that copy then paste the cameras.cfg to the DESKTOP (temp). Make changes and save (to desktop) the changed cfg. Then save the desktop cfg to default folder (and overwrite). Or rename it to 'cameras.cfg.bck' first. Then do the changes. That way you have a 'clean' copy of cameras.cfg in case something happens.

Chuck B

Napamule

PS: MrZippy: Don't worry, I can land anything/anywhere from the 2D OR the VC panel view. I picked up flying from 'locked spot' when learning to fly helicopters (FS98, FS2002,FS9, and now FSX Accel). I can land helios anytime/anywhere that way (100% of the time). But I can land 'close' from 2D or VC 50% of the time. Which would YOU prefer. Exactly!

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Let us know how things work out for you.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

• 2 months later...
sorry to take so long to reply, but it worked, thanks everybody! here's an example of what i was going for: youre in spot view, with the aircraft headed toward you and the camera facing north. you reverse course by doing an immelman. now the plane is headed away from you and the camera is still facing north. you dont go back to a front view of the aircraft without using the hat switch.

Phil Colvin

Chuck, your fanny needs to be in the pilot's seat when landing an aircraft! ;)

Begging to differ- one of the joys for me of FSX is watching the airplane from some exterior view. I don't fly to watch the cockpit, and I think videos where the only view you see is the cockpit are somewhat boring after about a minute or so **unless** the point of the vid is to show some facet of the instrumentation, i.e. a tutorial on using the FMC, etc.

And after reading this entire thread, plus the older one referenced earlier in the thread, I am STILL confused on what, exactly, the OP wants, and how to get it.

I would like a chase view wherein the camera follows the plane around, changing the camera's pointing direction to keep the aircraft in the middle but NOT banking when the airplane does, keeping the horizon always level. This would be the Mr. Zippy Option "A" from the two screenies earlier in this thread.

One of my points of confusion on how to get the chase view I want is that someone posted part of Cameras.cfg but it includes TWO views, and they are NOT numbered the same as mine is- in mine, the Locked Spot is #4, and in the one posted, I can't tell if Locked Spot was changed from #4 (default) to #3 or what- so posting both views is confusing because I don't know which view to apply any changes to, but the posting of two views implies that he changed both views; which entries were changed is not clear to me at all.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Hogg,

The Cam Def's 001 (Cockpit) and 002 (Virtual Cockpit) remain the same.

The mod is to Cam Def 003 (Spot). (Comment out the whole section to keep 'safe').

Change Cam Def 003 as below:

[CameraDefinition.003]

Title= Fixed Spot // Spot

Guid= {BCA3FDD1-FB83-4BBA-8407-4922A7F0D00C}

Description= This is the description of the fixed spot view //was spot view

Origin= Center

SnapPbhAdjust= Ordinal //Swivel

SnapPbhReturn= False

PanPbhAdjust= Swivel

PanPbhReturn= False

Track= FixedChase //was FlatChase

ShowAxis= No

AllowZoom= Yes

InitialZoom= 1.0

SmoothZoomTime= 2.0

ShowWeather= Yes

XyzAdjust= FALSE

Transition= Yes

ShowLensFlare=TRUE

Category= Outside

ClipMode= Spot

PitchPanRate=30

HeadingPanRate=75

PanAcceleratorTime=1

MomentumEffect= NO

So you 'deleted' the SPOT view and substituted (003) with the 'FIXED SPOT' view.

Save a backup of 'Cameras.cfg', edit, then do 'SAVE'. Go fly and when in spot view use the 'A' key to 'find' the fixed chase view. Go taxi and see how it works for yourself. Not complicated, but 'New'. And you will no longer have that (useless) 'SPOT' view (the one with momemtum). Ok? OK!

Chuck B

Napamule

Archived