flightgear.org

OTTODAD

Having been a user of the Artwick's Flight Simulator, then MS-FS and X-Plane to date, I came across this freeware flight simulator: http://www.flightgear.org/, I can not see mentioned anywhere else in these forums.

DTG now having been licensed to release a Steam version of MS-FS-X and develop it further ?, what can you tell me about flightgear and your thoughts about DTG and FS-X ?

Flight gear seems ok, just don't expect mind blowing stuff for a freeware sim.

Steam isn't developing further. Simply re releasing FSX as a download.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

...Steam isn't developing further. Simply re releasing FSX as a download.

A couple of excerps from Dovetail's recent statements:

...The game features updated multiplayer functionality, Windows 8.1 support...

...announced a global licensing deal with Microsoft, granting them the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft’s genre-defining flight technology...

I think that "genre-defining flight technology" actually refers to Microsoft "Flight".

Dunno...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

I've not flown Flightgear for a while, but last time I checked it was well short of FSX in almost every aspect, though a very few things were better. It IS open source and free (in both senses of the word), and if you have the programming skills you can modify it. It also is available for platforms other than Windows, which is important to some people.

However they've released two or three versions since I last tried it, so there are likely improvements since I saw it. It certainly is DRASTICALLY better than it was 8 or 10 years ago, too.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

FlightGear is a fantastic simulator with the latest release (3.2) offering a wealth of features.

Coming from MSFS, it can seem daunting at first, but it's well worth persevering with. The community is incredibly friendly and the fact that you can actively participate in its development is a major bonus.

Here are some of the (possible) new features of version 3.4:

http://www.flightgear.org/info/a-preview-of-features-for-flightgear-3-4/

In all, highly recommended, just try and forget what you've learnt before (in terms of interface):D

Cheers

Dom

PS...slopped runways, dynamic shadows, scenery loaded as you fly, are just a few of the excellent features this sim offers.

Archived