Windows 8

c119

It's recommended to avoid installing FSX to c:\Program Files(x86) which is the default install location, as Windows security may cause some headaches. Install to c:\FSX or c:\FS9 or some other drive if you have one. Mine is installed in F:\FSX which is an SSD.

I'm running FSX on Win8.1 with no problems. I've seen reports that Windows disconnects their joysticks/controllers after some time. I'm using FSUIPC and have not seen this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mikewear1
No issues on default file location on Windows 8.1...compatibility mode on. Help please: I'm having problems with file downloads. Privacy settings are OK for cookies...also set flightsim.com as allowed site. Still getting error screen. Help please?

Thank you guys for your advices ! I've bought Flight Simulator X, and on my computer with Windows 8 it goes very well ! Think about one month ago a seller told me "No, FS is not compatible with Windows 8" .... almost i had lost all my hopes to get FSX.

But so, why so many people say Windows 8 and FSX are incompatible ?

But so, why so many people say Windows 8 and FSX are incompatible ?

Some people do have trouble with FSX and Windows 8, and this combined with the many people who don't like Windows 8 in general, leads to some claiming the sim doesn't work at all.

Yes, all the versions of FS work fine using windows 8. Depending on where you load FS or addons, such as in the default Program Files (x86) folder, you'll need to right click and choose "Run as Administrator." That's usually where folks have problems. As recommened in other replies, you can always load FS on C:\ or any other external drive or partition. Just make sure, when you download addons, that you choose the path where you have the Flight Simulator installed. There are time when addons don't give you the choice, I can think of a couple I have that when using them, I need run them in the administrator mode. I've never found comptibility problems using both as long as I know the path where the addon is located. Of course if you''re sharing a computer, only you as administror would have access anything that needs to be started in the administrator mode. Actually, I believe FS runs better in Windows 8 than in eariler versions of Windows. If you're adding external programs that don't get through the security settings, you may want to avoid them instead of disabiling the security. If you know security is the problem, and you trust it, you can always go into the security "settings" and manually allow any individual program to through the security wall.

Most of the nay sayers of Windows 8 simply don't know how to use it. It took me awhile as I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to programming. :)

Herk

Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8

Archived