FSX shuts down Computer

leftseat172

Windows 7 64 PRO

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 cpu

8 GB Memory

ATI radeon HD 4870 1 GB GDDR5 Video

750 Watt ps

5.9 Windows Experience index

Only had an occasional freeze with XP32 PRO 4 GB memory ( 30 fps )

FSX seems to be shutting down my computer after I begin flying if I can get off the ground. I decided to download CPU thermometer to check temps. Back to if I can get off the ground..................I watched temps go up from 52 deg celcius to 95 deg celcius as I loaded FSX. When I clicked fly now and on active runway computer gave me a blue screen that windows has shut down unexpectedly etc. When I reboot computer runs great again.

Is this possibly an overheating problem and need better cooling for my CPU? Video card problem? Confused because I thought that Window 7 64 with more memory would be better then my old XP32 PRO OS

Any suggestions for a not so tech type person? Where do I start? Thanks!

That is definately an overheating issue. AMD's recommended Max safe temp is 63C.

Anything over 65C, constantly, will, more than likely, be detrimental to the CPU's lifespan.

If your CPU is idling at 52C you have a problem with cooling.

Open the case and aim a fan at it. If the CPU temp drops significantly, the case's cooling isn't up to par.

Check the CPU cooler's fan for proper operation.

Carefully clean the CPU cooler and test.

Because the Phenom II X4 955 is old, the Thermal Interface Material(TIM) may have dried out. Replace the TIM. If you are too timid to do it yourself, your local computer shop can handle it for a nominal fee...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

The AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 cpu

Is available as black edition CPU. Black-edition versions can be overclocked.

When you run a CPU overclocked, the processor speed is set to highter then normal. So for example a 3.2 Gigaherz CPU, running at 3.5 Gigaherz.

As you can imagine, making a CPU run faster then normal increases the power it uses and increases the heat it produces.

The temperature you report is definetely way to high! (95 degrees Celcius).

Make sure those temperatures do not occur again! It will seriously damage your CPU.

Before running fsx again:

A - Make sure your computer is not overclocked.

Overclocking settings are in the BIOS, read up on BIOS if you are not familiar with that. Google.

B - As per mrzippy's advice, Make sure all cooling fan's are working.

To elaborate a bit on mrzippy's advice:

Check all fans are running, especcially the one for cooling the cpu.

1. shut down the PC.

2. On the back of the case, next to the power cord is a large black switch. It is in the -I- (one) position. Press the switch into the -0- (zero) position.

Leave the power cord in for now. In the -0- position no power should be going to the computer.

3. On the front of the computer, press the power button a few times. This is to make sure there is no remaining current inside the computer.

4. Now disconnect the power cord of the PC.

5. Open the side of the case. Be very careull of all the vulnerable parts inside. Don't stick your hand in there.

6. Leave the PC open. Grab a small flashlight.

7. Identify the CPU fan. It is usually mounted on top of a large metal cooling block (called a heatsink).

8. Note where the other fan's are. (CPU fan, Power supply fan, additional system fan's for cooling the case.)

9. leave the case open

10. Plug in the power cord again.

11. Flick the black switch on the back, to the -I- position again.

12. While looking into your computer from the side, switch on the pc.

Quickly Check all the fan's are spinning. If a fan is not spinning, switch the pc off again immediately to prevent overheating.

Especially important the CPU fan is spinning! Without that it will overheat and fry.

13. Fix the issue.

14. IMPORTANT: Before putting the side panel back in place, again go throught the procedure and disconnect the power cord.

15. IMPORTANT: always make sure the POWER CORD IS DISCONNECETED before touching the inside of your Computer. There are HIGH VOLTAGES in there. SAFETY FIRST!!

cool runnings...

il88pp. :cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived