PSA Shuttle 1978

BillD22

In this series from sometime in the late 1970's a Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) Lockheed L188C "Electra II" with the famous "Catch Our Smile" livery makes a twilight departure from San Diego's (KSAN) Runway 27 for the short 30 minute shuttle run up the coast to Los Angeles International (KLAX)

[click on images full screen view]

psa1.jpg

p2.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

p7.jpg

p9.jpg

p8.jpg

Our short flight ends with an arrival into KLAX Runway 7R over the beach. Looking around us the entrance to Marina del Rey is visible on the left in the first shot with the Palos Verdes peninsula and Catalina island in the far distance visible off the right wing tip in the second shot. Then we land and roll out past the iconic LAX neon terminal

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l3.jpg

L4.jpg

L6.jpg

Great early morning shots!!!!

I did not know that cockpit panel had pink night light :confused: This panel must be for female flight simmers :)

Regards,

Aharon

Thanks Aharon, pch, and Jim

Aharon: actually these shots were just after sunset :) I agree that the pink is a bit much - I think there's a mod out that changes the cockpit night lighting to yellow or white but I don't have it

Truly remarkable pics, Bill! Is this a payware aircraft or? I wouldn't mind having this one!

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Truly remarkable pics, Bill! Is this a payware aircraft or? I wouldn't mind having this one!

Thanks Joe - this is 100% freeware - its the L188 FSX package by Team FS KBT - you can get the base files in the library here (file name

l-188_electra_x.zip) + various repaints and texture upgrades including this PSA model - also do a library search on Fabio Cabral for his excellent series of high rez L188 repaints (the PSA in these shots is one of them)

Many a trip I took in those when they served as shuttle planes, although those I rode were EAL between DC and NY and NY and BOS. Still, fun to see the old bird in service as a shuttle again. Nice post and great livery.

Many a trip I took in those when they served as shuttle planes, although those I rode were EAL between DC and NY and NY and BOS. Still, fun to see the old bird in service as a shuttle again. Nice post and great livery.

Thanks KC and Larry.

KC - I probably saw you go by. Back in the day I used to watch the EAL L188 shuttle making the river visual approach to National from the rooftop bar at the Key Bridge Marriott - at that point in the approach the airplane was only slightly above rooftop level so it was a great view:)

Put together an up close view of an Electra, happy hour prices on drinks, free hors d'ourves, and lots of women on Friday night and it was an unbeatable end of week combo :D:D:D

In this shot from that era an Eastern L188 momentarily straightens out over Roosevelt Island in the Potomac River before continuing the winding River Visual approach to Runway 18 (now 19) at Washington National Airport (KDCA)

eal.jpg

The Key Bridge Marriott building - is accurately depicted in appearance - but is actually misplaced in this scenery. It should be where the tall building just to the right of the #3 engine is - but appropriately enough - as they say in DC - "It's close enough for government work" :D:D:D

Roof.jpg

Looking at pics 5&7, I suddenl recalled 2 things: 1) Why the airline industry (I grew up son of a UAL pilot) called them The Grinning Idiots,

and 2) How much, on occaision, when we were in boot camp at MCRD San Diego, we would glance over at the airport and see the 727's taxiing out and taking off for who knew where...The main PT area and running course was right along the outer airport fence...Unobstructed view of the runway and parts of the terminals. DARN tempting some days to make a break for the fence and see how good we actually had gotten so far, and is it in fact possible to stow away on a jet?

Anyway, great set, thanx for the post!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Looking at pics 5&7, I suddenl recalled 2 things: 1) Why the airline industry (I grew up son of a UAL pilot) called them The Grinning Idiots,

and 2) How much, on occaision, when we were in boot camp at MCRD San Diego, we would glance over at the airport and see the 727's taxiing out and taking off for who knew where...The main PT area and running course was right along the outer airport fence...Unobstructed view of the runway and parts of the terminals. DARN tempting some days to make a break for the fence and see how good we actually had gotten so far, and is it in fact possible to stow away on a jet?

Anyway, great set, thanx for the post!

Pat☺

Thanks Pat - I suspect the Gunny would have stopped you long before you made it to a plane:D:D:D

Archived