Am i being silly? FREEZ Zurich question

HoratioWondersocks

Hello All

My new PC went phut after two months.

It has since been repaired.

It received a new motherboard plus memory modules.

My question..... My PC went phut whilst at Freez Lszh. Now I am sure that was just coincidence ,but now I have had my PC repaired I am a bit reluctant to try Lszh again .Am I being irrational?

Could the add-on (which is excellent by the way) somehow have overloaded my PC's memory/motherboard and caused its demise?

It is A very detailed airport.

I have just had to rein 9 and assorted addons and its now up and running again.

It was a ballyhoo!

I don't want to do it again anytime soon.

Cheers Andy

I am so glad I made regular backups of Fs9.

It has proved invaluable in these trying last few weeks.

My tip of the day...

Simmers new and old Back up your sim!!!!!

Its can seem a tedious chore but if you get serious sim problems it is a massive plus in getting airborne again as you were before Lord doom struck .

Most likely just coincidence. The rare issues that may cause damage will usually trigger the dread BSOD before damage occurs. If there is anything wrong with that scenery the worst that will happen is an FS CTD.

I once spent a week trying to correct sound issues that arose after a vid driver update. Turned out the sound card just happened to go bad as the system rebooted after the vid driver install.

Most likely just coincidence. The rare issues that may cause damage will usually trigger the dread BSOD before damage occurs. If there is anything wrong with that scenery the worst that will happen is an FS CTD.

I once spent a week trying to correct sound issues that arose after a vid driver update. Turned out the sound card just happened to go bad as the system rebooted after the vid driver install.

OK thanks guys.

A bit disconcerting that a two month old PC needed a new mboard and memory.

Anyways I am still a somewhat reluctant to go back to LSZH.....daft eh!!

Cheers

Andy

OK thanks guys.

A bit disconcerting that a two month old PC needed a new mboard and memory.

Anyways I am still a somewhat reluctant to go back to LSZH.....daft eh!!

Cheers

Andy

Better at two months than two months after the warranty expires.

I once bought a monitor that was dead right out of the box.

OK Thanks again.

Just one other thought.

I am not absolutely sure.but I think PC manufacturers still use rather puny 250 watt power supplies ,if this is the case with mine. (I'll take a look)could that be a factor.

My new PC is by no means a gaming super system (although fs9 is hugely improved in performance compared with my old xp setup)it would probably marketed as an alround family PC so would fs9 with its greater resource requirements put a strain on the PSU?

Anyways thanks again for your thoughts guys.

I have had no problems with any flights since getting my PC back.(including add-on airports such the very nice VTBS which is also a very detailed like my dreaded LSZH)

I did run a malware /virus check on the lszh folder ,this showed nothing nasty detected.

Cheers the neurotic simmer.

Hm .... a 250W PSU does seem a bit puny, as you say. My previous sim PC was of the "family" genre and had a 400W unit. The GTX560Ti NVidia card in my present i5 PC needs a 650W unit.

Dijvid

Hello Dijvid

In case you might want to take a look my PC is this model.....

HP Pavilion 500-326na

The card it comes with is (basic entry level I think)Radeon R7 240 this card apparently uses 75 watts.

As to the PSU the news is worse than I thought its not 250 watts its only 180.

Would a manufacturer really put in a psu that will not run the PC model its selling?

I have in time installed gcards ,ram,sound cards etc into my various PCs ,but the PSU looks a much more difficult proposition, otherwise I would nip out and by one.(actually that would invalidate my guarantee) so maybe not.

Anyways although the gcard is basic this PC runs fs9 so much better than my old p4 2.8 xp 2gb ram setup.

I just hope the PSU can cope.

I know that for anything other than the basic gcard my PC comes with 180 watts will nowhere near suffice ,but at the moment I am perfectly happy with what I have got AS long as the computer can cope and doesn't fail as it did a few weeks ago.

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for the info.

I'm not really up on AMD and ATI stuff as I'm an Intel and NVidia man myself! However, if HP have cobbled this together with a 180W PSU then I would leave things alone. Logic tells me that if you increase the power supply into the beast then it might be too much and fry something?? Apart from that, it's the power required by the onboard hardware which determines things and not whether you are running Word, Excel or FS9.

However, I see from Google that your PC only comes with 2 gig of RAM. As FS9 is RAM intensive I'd increase this if possible - and finances permitting, of course!

Just as a matter of interest I either build my own PCs from scratch or else purchase a "bare bones" offer - i.e. a case with a mobo, some memory, a hard disk and a PSU - and then upgrade it from there to my own particular requirements. It's not difficult.

Dijvid

Hi Andy

Thanks for the info.

I'm not really up on AMD and ATI stuff as I'm an Intel and NVidia man myself! However, if HP have cobbled this together with a 180W PSU then I would leave things alone. Logic tells me that if you increase the power supply into the beast then it might be too much and fry something?? Apart from that, it's the power required by the onboard hardware which determines things and not whether you are running Word, Excel or FS9.

However, I see from Google that your PC only comes with 2 gig of RAM. As FS9 is RAM intensive I'd increase this if possible - and finances permitting, of course!

Just as a matter of interest I either build my own PCs from scratch or else purchase a "bare bones" offer - i.e. a case with a mobo, some memory, a hard disk and a PSU - and then upgrade it from there to my own particular requirements. It's not difficult.

Dijvid

Thanks again Dijvid.

I will pester you know more.

Just one thing though my PC comes with 6gb ram not the 2 that google stated.

Actually this PC runs fs9 beautifully BUT ! I don't want it to phut again.

Anyways.

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Cheers Andy

Software alone isn't going to cause hardware failure. Unless the manufacturer was being exceedingly cheap, the included PSU should be good enough for the configuration the PC came in. It may not be powerful enough for adding on a top end GPU though. And no, a more powerful PSU is not going to fry anything. The computer will draw the power it needs, not the other way around. It just sounds like you lost the draw and got a PC that came with a defective part. Considering how many millions are made, a few broken ones are going to slip through.

Thanks again Dijvid.

I will pester you know more.

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy

You're not pestering me at all!!

Do you have 32 bit or 64 bit Windows? If 32 bit you might be interested in releasing just a little more memory for use with FS9. Do a Google for "Large Address Aware".

BTW, and just as a matter of interest, whereabouts in the UK are you? I live about half a mile, as the 747 flies, going west from the WOD ndb in Berkshire.

Dijvid

Hi Andy

You're not pestering me at all!!

Do you have 32 bit or 64 bit Windows? If 32 bit you might be interested in releasing just a little more memory for use with FS9. Do a Google for "Large Address Aware".

BTW, and just as a matter of interest, whereabouts in the UK are you? I live about half a mile, as the 747 flies, going west from the WOD ndb in Berkshire.

Dijvid

Hello

I live in the earthly paradise that is Sutton in the fair county of Surreyshire .

Thanks to all for your thoughts on my PC no fly zone LSZH.

Still haven't been back yet!

Cheers Andy

PS windows is 64 bit W8.1

Hello

I live in the earthly paradise that is Sutton in the fair county of Surreyshire .

Cheers Andy

PS windows is 64 bit W8.1

At last - someone who is not from "up North!!" - and not a million miles from me either. Guess you must get a lot of a/c above you holding in the stacks before they get sent to me for locking onto the localiser of EGLL 10L or 10R.

Do you fancy the odd bit of private e-mailing about all things FS2004? If so then send me a PM with your address. But if you don't I won't be offended.

Cheers

Dijvid

At last - someone who is not from "up North!!" - and not a million miles from me either. Guess you must get a lot of a/c above you holding in the stacks before they get sent to me for locking onto the localiser of EGLL 10L or 10R.

Do you fancy the odd bit of private e-mailing about all things FS2004? If so then send me a PM with your address. But if you don't I won't be offended.

Cheers

Dijvid

Hello Dijvid

I have my reasons but I prefer to keep my flightsim presence to forums only.

I don't twitter or use Facebook (even though they constantly pester me) none of that stuff.I prefer to remain the 'Simmer with no name)apart from Andy or Horatio of the socks.

Mysterious or what !

Just like East Germany or Moscow 1972.

Cheers Kim Philby

or Andy or Hsocks.

THE! simmer with no name!!

Archived