Home cockpit or virtual reality

Tushka

Hey!

I will keep it simple, surely a home cockpit makes your experience 200% better by actually sitting in the airplane flipping the switches, dials, with your hands. But in this economy that to build is very expensive, and technology is catching up.

In your opinion, is it likely that there will be some sort of virtual reality system (like googles on your head which transmit the image, and some sort of sensors on your body letting the system know your movements, and hence sit in the VC that way? It's not as good as the real cockpit obviously, but perhaps technology could advanced to something like this in the next 5 to 15 years? If we look at the 1990s, when the simulator was little more than wireframes, to the graphics we have today, I do not think this is an impossible question.

There are already a few options in development right now. Oculus Rift and CastAR are two examples in various stages of development. Don't think you will need to wait 5-15 years.

I'm aware of that, must be amazing and reality like to wear one of them. However if there is sensors available that sences your hands making you able to flip the switches, then that would be a major milestone for flightsimulator and probably thousands will be using it. What can't be recreated unless in 5-15 years however, is the psysical feel of touching the things around you.

go get your PPL :D

If you have the money to drop in a simulator you can get your sports license in 20hrs and it would cost less than most simulators

Best Regards- Tyler

Real World Teenage Pilot- Training in 2006 C172SP G1000 & 2011 Carbon Cub

Intel i7 3770K 4.5 GHz; 8gb DDR3 1600; MSI GTX760 OC Edition; Windows 7 64-bit

Archived