Can FSX senery file work in FS2004, and how to convert if needed.

dog4zero

I live in Mexico and there are some file of Ixtapa- Zihuatanjo I would like to use. The default just has the airport and zihua bay and nothing for Ixtapa.
P3Dv4.5, nothing but Gigs of ORBX, REX 4 TD, REX WW Airports HD, SkyForce 3D, ASP4. I7 8700 CPU Liquid Cooled, 32g 3200 mem, GTX 1080ti on an ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard with Win 10. Goflight GF166A VRP, 2 X RP48, GF-T8. CH Pro Yoke and Pedals.

You can try it but I think FS2004 will work in FSX but maybe not the other way. Let us know if it does.

I see that download from our Library is an auto-installer. You will need to point to a new folder that you create, say in My Documents, called Ixtapa. Let the installer dump the scenery folder and texture folder into your created folder.

Add the new "Ixtapa" folder into your Scenery Library and give it a try.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Would I put that in the add on scenery or make a new one?
P3Dv4.5, nothing but Gigs of ORBX, REX 4 TD, REX WW Airports HD, SkyForce 3D, ASP4. I7 8700 CPU Liquid Cooled, 32g 3200 mem, GTX 1080ti on an ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard with Win 10. Goflight GF166A VRP, 2 X RP48, GF-T8. CH Pro Yoke and Pedals.

I,ll let you know if it works. Thanks.

The texture folder has a bunch a .agn files, nothing changed. I do have all of Mexico's terrain mesh files installed and it includes most of the main airports. I also have Howard's Mix installed. It works great for me. and keeps frame rates at 25. I'll figure something out even if I have to do myself. I have plenty of time. just need the tools. any advice? From anybody.

The .agn files are autogen for the custom photoreal ground textures which do not work in FS9.

In fact, very little of this addon will work in FS9 without a bunch of rework.

It would probably be just as easy to start from scratch.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

starting from scratch. What apps would I need, and what are the easiest to use? I am not a computer geek, but I do know my way around a little.

Start with Airport Design Editor- http://www.airportdesigneditor.com/

ADE can place objects though you may want to consider Instant Scenery- http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=iscen3

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Does this work for towns or just airports. I want to get zihua as close as I can? Or does Google Earth come into play here some how?

ADE is an Airport Design Editor and for FS9 it is pretty limited in what it can do off-airport.

To get the town to look more like the RW you have 2 options.

One is custom landclass that will display the stock FS textures populated with autogen trees and buildings. This will not look exactly like what you would see flying over the town in a real airplane. Given the limitations of the sim it will look close in that you will see a town instead of a forest or desert.

The second option is photoreal ground textures that are created from sources such as Google Earth. This will look exactly like the RW with a few caveats.

One is the textures will be flat and devoid of 3D objects unless you also annotate them with autogen and/or place custom 3D objects.

Also note that photoreal ground textures look better at altitude. At lower altitudes they get quite blurry. A lot of this has to do with the availability of good source imagery and the sim limitation that each pixel of the texture covers about 4.7 meters.

Either option can be accomplished with SBuilder.

Once you figure out how to work in SBuilder, which can take a while, you could knock up a custom landclass in a relatively short time.

Photoreal ground takes longer depending on how far you want to go with it. By the time you create blendmasks, watermasks, seasonal textures, autogen, custom landmarks, etc. you can spend weeks on a small area.

SBuilder is freely available here.

If you elect to proceed you will have further questions. You may want to start a new topic in the Scenery Design forum.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Archived