Any Instructor please? How to fly this Flight Plan with VOR

savedlema

Hi all,

I have been struggling to learn how fly with VOR, (the reason being that I have always found myself arriving at the airports but at the wrong direction in relation to the runways, while its too late to align myself to the runway-ruining all my flight time), so I started learning VOR and even flew Cessna around an airport.

But I have a problem. I tried flying Boeing 737 & 747 with VOR, from Kilimanjaro Intl Airport to Jomo Kenyata Intl. (Please see the attached img of a flight plan and note the faint red flight path line, TV VOR (at the red intersection) and NV VOR (at my destination, Jomo Kenyatta).

What I did:

I went to the radio panel, set NAV-1 to TV VOR's frequency and set NAV-2 to NV freq. But then the plane primary display started responding to the NV VOR, to which I managed to arrive, but also from a wrong approach again.

Please, how do I manage to fly and approach the runway while aligned to the runway. (I have spent many hours at the Flight Lessons of FSX, its hard for me to catch up)

OR, is there an easy way of doing this without VOR? How do people do it?

I will appreciate any help.

Frank.

Kili to Jomo Kenyata Flight Plan.PNG

Simple, never aim for the runway, always choose an Intersection, Navaid or feature on an imaginary centreline of the runway, about 20 miles out. That way your final turns will always be slight to align with the final runway heading.

Or choose a Procedure approach from the database in the GPS and fly that - it's designed to achieve exactly what I've just outlined above.

Everything you need to know is ether in the Learning Center, or here

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

Thanks mallcott!

Simple, never aim for the runway, always choose an Intersection, Navaid or feature on an imaginary centreline of the runway, about 20 miles out. That way your final turns will always be slight to align with the final runway heading.

Or choose a Procedure approach from the database in the GPS and fly that - it's designed to achieve exactly what I've just outlined above.

Everything you need to know is ether in the Learning Center, or here

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

Archived