MSFS can't open after Windows 11 upgrade

Just upgraded to Windows 11. When I attempt to run MSFS I get the message "Microsoft Flight Simulator can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected."

When I originally installed MSFS I installed it to my G: drive instead of C: because I wanted it and all related apps/data/etc. to be on a separate drive. Did the upgrade somehow change the starting location? The MSFS icon properties shows the correct file (I think) as the target (MicrosoftFlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App). However, it does not specify a drive or any other path information. Could that be the problem? I've searched a little but cannot find a workable solution.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Ken in Kansas

Rusty Gunz - been simming since the Apple II+ and Sublogic

"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC : 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB

CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro controllers

Vizio 40" 4K HDR monitor : Windows 11 Home 64 bit

Hi,

I presume your G drive is still labelled as “G”? (I’ve had the occasional issues in the past with drives being reassigned a different letter)

As for flight sim target not showing a drive letter.. mine is the same. I have just updated my Win 11 to the very latest edition, so maybe they’ve made it so you can’t see the actual location anymore. I’m sure mine showed “C:/… etc” previously.

Don’t know if any of these posts will help, but you might want to take a look..

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-flight-simulator-cant-open-because-it/dc9b8b7c-a2d0-473b-9943-339662f0e1fc

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

g7rta,

Yes, G: is still labeled correctly and "connected". I don't think it would show up at all in my list of drives (using the "Create and format hard disk partitions" utility) if it wasn't connected. I have four other SSD drives, including the system drive and they are all shown. All my drives are SSD and were "converted" to GPT prior to installing Windows 11.

I looked at the link you provided, but little if any help. I'm considering re-installation of MSFS but don't know what happens to all the content I have downloaded or purchased. Also wondering if all the MSFS updates are included in the version that would be re-installed or if they have to also be downloaded/installed.

A quandary for sure, so still searching for answers.l

Ken in Kansas

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC : 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB

CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro controllers

Hi Ken,

If it was me, then I would probably do a reinstall even though it’d take time. I’ve done it enough times already previously.

When you reinstall (MS Store) it will give you the latest, updated edition. However, extra things like world updates will still need reinstalling too should you want them. If you bought / downloaded additional things via the sim’s own marketplace then they too would need reinstalling.

As for external addons.. they too may need reinstalling, but many freeware addons are simply placed into your community folder. I would copy your community folder first ( or it’s contents) and put them back after the installation. Or you could rename the folder to..say community1 or something then rename it back after the installation.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

What Steve mentioned, but adding to it :) save your created flight plans. I found out the hard way that MSFS did not save them when I reinstalled.
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Thanks, guys. I'd considered a re-installation, but wanted to avoid it if at all possible. Looks like avoidance isn't an option, though. I'll proceed with a re-installation today or tomorrow.

Ken in Kansas