Recreate the First Successful Circumnavigation Flight (1924)

lastivka

I think there is a lot of scope for recreating the early pioneering flights. Here is one idea - a recreation of the First Successful Circumnavigation Flight, made in 1924. Currently the DigitalThemePark, a multi-gaming community is running an "Achievement Flight" based on this event:

https://digitalthemepark.com/2022/04/29/1924/

00000.jpg

You could join the group, or just do some or all of the flights independently, as the route (as close as possible) is marked out and available using SkyVector maps online.

The original flight used Douglas World Cruisers - modified WWI Douglas DT-2 torpedo bomber open-cockpit biplanes, powered by a single 450 HP Liberty 12 engine. The planes were equipped with both floats and wheels and could be configured to land on water or land. The four aircraft used in the flight had no radios, navigational aids, or weather-forecasting equipment! Their only instruments were a compass, an altimeter, and a turn-and-bank indicator.

Douglas.jpg

If you wanted a real challenge and fly this route in the original aircraft, Dennis Simanaitis created a FS2004 version of this aircraft and you can find it here: dwc04.zip

I suspect Bernard has already posted pics of this aircraft, either here or elsewhere.

Edit: I only saw this after I posted: this event was advertised here in the Events section:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?337913-1924-First-Successful-Circumnavigation-Flights

Paul

Edited by lastivka

Visit FSXMissionsHangar.com

For Missions in FSX and P3D

Hi Paul,

Yes, I indeed began some few years ago to create the heroic flight as an AI traffic. For each stop I did quadruple seaplane Afcad. Then I got as far as Hong Kong.

Here the four Douglas World Cruiser at Sand Point, Seattle

52185913006_d223b10422_b.jpg

Despite of separate Afcad for each aircraft and the same flightplans, they aren't able to stay grouped together.

52185923583_3734ab9935_b.jpg

Given the extremely long journey, it isn't possible to program this as a continuous AI flight. Therefore, they only complete pattern flights at the various stopovers.

Bernard