Gps

fly this morning fly only with default B737-800. I create a IFR flight path from JFK to Bradley Int and add a few waypoints as it is short flight before taking my wife out for Mother's Day. After take-off I activate the GPS to follow the flight path but almost immediately ATC instructed me to change course. Is that normal or did I do something wrong. Surely when GPS is activated the flight must follow the flight path.

Strangely enough the GPS did also not follow the flight path. I deactivate GPS and activate it again but the B737 did turn towards the flight path. Only when GPS and VOR LOC is activated then it looks as if the flight path is followed. When I landed in Bradley the GPS reading was 107 miles from airport.

When I first started in FS2004 I immediately figured out how to use the GPS, but kept wondering if I always had to make corrections to my cross track error as I progressed or if there was an easier way? Latter I found out about the NAV/GPS switch which made life super easy. LOL!

WRT to the first question, KJFK-KBDL is just 92 miles direct. Once you are that close to the destination and you are IFR, ATC can start to vector you for arrival, ie your flight plan on such a short flight is often pretty much ignored by ATC.