Dornier DO-J Throttle Question

Just purchased the Dornier Flying Boat and I really like it. Only one question so far: I cannot achieve zero throttle. From engine start-up, the plane begins to move forward. I have calibrated my throttle so it's not that. Am I missing something or is this normal? Thanks!

Steve in Kansas

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Just purchased the Dornier Flying Boat and I really like it. Only one question so far: I cannot achieve zero throttle. From engine start-up, the plane begins to move forward. I have calibrated my throttle so it's not that. Am I missing something or is this normal? Thanks!

Ah... well... while rare, some planes at idle aren't "zero thrust". So in some conditions just firing up the engines can result in movement, without brakes set, or in the case of a seaplane or flying boat, anchors or moorings tied !!

Sometimes though it's an artifact from the original programmer that tried to make it fly like the real thing... sometimes it's an amazingly difficult balance that's way more complex for a special airplane, than for others. And sometimes that means that "idle thrust" might be unrealistic, a tradeoff in order to maybe achieve something else that's more relevant to the flight... like maybe takeoff/landing handling, water drag, but giving a somewhat realistic fuel burn/thrust throttle setting, cruise power that appears real.

Buuuuuuuuutttt.... this doesn't seem to me, to be a plane that would have this issue. Large and heavy, early flying boat, early piston power, just two simple props... I would think this bird would need quite a bit of throttle just to taxi out to take off...

so really, I've no idea...

I would suggest going through all the key bindings, see if something is maybe interfearing with your throttle position? Also check all control device axis, there might be something that is interfearing. Or not assigned for this plane.

Sorry I wish I was more help!

It's nice to see that so many people are still interested in aircraft before glass cockpits! That was a HUGE concern for me the first few months "will steam gauges never be seen in civilian flight sims again?!?!! YIKES!!" I'm so glad to have been proven very wrong!

In the thread below, TJTurner has seemingly the same concern as you:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/official-discussion-dornier-do-j-wal/507708/7

3. There is no anchor, so the even when the engines are cut the plane is drifting away from the lander area.

Look for some seaplane scenery/data here and at that site (search seaplane maybe?):

https://flightsim.to/file/1931/norwegian-seaplaneports-docks-bases

It occurs to me that maybe you could try only using one engine instead of both, for stationary idle and taxiing ? And when lined up for takeoff, fire up the second engine?