while im on a hiatus

darrenvox

what got you into fs2004 and what did you start making or creating?. I spent most of my time in sim using other peoples work and praising them untill i attempted to try painting myself. it kind of took off before i started to make splash screens...ive made tutorials on my website and on youtube {for those parties who find it hard to read there's some videos that go along with it).

How long did it take for you to start making things for fs2004 respectfully. stupid question but...

I got into FS2004 be sheer accident. Originally, I had begun playing around with an old copy of FS98 in my parents basement as a kid during the early 2010's. That was fun and all, but I eventually stumbled upon my fathers copy of FS2004 and installed it on my computer. From which I never looked back from and eventually was given my own copy of FS2004 to have.

As for creating things for FS2004, I have tried to make repaints, but I have either found myself with not enough spare time, or simply the worst paint-kits possible and thus, haven't really given it a fair shake. Though here's to hoping that someday in the future that might change.

I've "been into" flight sim since the '80's, first on a Sinclair ZX81, then introduced to FS1 whilst on a training course at IBM.

I've tried most of the versions of MSFS though to FSX, but only FS4, then FS9, really caught my imagination.

I became quite involved in preparing autogen and little airfield sceneries for the UKVFR photographic scenery for FS9, but when that all disappeared my involvement took a bit of a back seat, 'till the Covid restrictions left me looking for something to do and I dragged it all out, re-installed from backup and carried on :)

My most recent release was last August, available here on Flightsim.com, and I continue to fine tune and add details as suits me :)

Just recently I've added some of the Playsims/Horizon photographic scenery for Scotland, so I'm "expanding my horizons" northwards and anticipate being involved, for my own entertainment at least, for some while to come :)

Edited by chris_eve

I started with FS98 and went through until FSX. Magic happened the first time I noticed it was possible to go online and download new scenery and aircraft! That's when I discovered Flightsim.com, around '97.

I started doing repaints and that has been my main thing, since (which led me to the Milton Shupe teams for the Dash7 and Howard500)

In 2000 I launched the Alaskan Winds VA that was an instant success, for which I was totally unprepared! 10 years later, we were 700+ pilots - but the first couple of 100s joined within the first month(!). That was full of ups and downs, most intense 10 years of my life, but it was also loads of fun :) Later added another small VA: L'Air Azur. All this lead to a burnout and that and and my work made me stay away of FS until last year.

Most crazy even thing I ever participated - we did as Alaskan Winds VA - was the Battle of the Airlines! 2002 and 2003. It was a series of completely insane flights controlled by an addon, joined by hundreds of pilots from many VAs around the world. Believe it or not, we landed on the Moon in 2003 :)))

Besides the repaints one other thing I did for FS was ABL programming. That's the languange in which FS missions are written, if I recall it right. I ended up programming an alternative ATC system using the voices of our VA pilots, that would detect pilots location in flight and direct them in and out of the various Iditarod checkpoints (another event we'd do every year, following the Iditarod and Yukon Quest races on our sims)

Today I'm happilly flying FS9 again, enjoying the good frame rates and revisiting all the best addons!

Cheers, all!

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

ive tried to make afcads from scratch and made "one" airport...all the others were made from other creators, that i just edited because they were out of date like the cyqf one, there in real life ground parking was no taxiway to where the electra's and dc-3s are. so i deleted it and uploaded it as no one ever updated them and did this many times to other airports and did sort of well and some i never uploaded went toward harsh realities of getting every parking space to pinpoint success...failed, painting i tried and really got into, though i really still suck at making pinstripe like repaints and anything at all.

search my name and on last page youll see how i started in painting...pretty much taking the paint that came with the aircraft and just painting over it. now i start with a blank aircraft and paint things to be more modern, like with my bubble gum c150 looks kinda like a real airplane should...its where i got to...

always wanted to edit panels so i started adding gps's into planes that never did get one...and that was just working with cfg's not actually working on the panel itself...havent uploaded anything yet of that side of the sim..

i also create splash screens, and had a copy for 2021 to go get uploded untill my computer crashed...for those who really follow my uploads...i love how simple making them is... in my fs website i have it typed up but for those who dont like reading too mich i made a video. i make videos as well for fs, havent made one in a year or so..but if i made a tutorial in text i make a video of the same thing so that others can watch instead of read...

thanks all....keep on keeping on...

Hey, Darren

I was looking for a new website host, and tried quite a few... wordpress and wix grew too complicated for a plain classic looking website.

So I was browsing your website and that was exactly that ;) I tried weebly and bingo!

So thanks! :))

Joao Paz

Always thought about using Microsoft Flight Simulator for as long as I can remember. I knew it would be a major time killer so avoided it for many years.

Someone I met back when FS2002 was current talked me into installing it. Over 2 decades since that day, here I am and yep, I can now certainly confirm it's as I suspected, a real time killer! lol

I've done many things for FS9 but released three. Two paints and my early interface packs.

Certain operating system issues over the years needed fixes. When Win 10 came along, fixes for that required some work which I have now accomplished.

I haven't released any of the fixes.

The main thing I wanted to do the last few years is make sure I can run FS9 till the day I'm no longer here. Having to find ways to dodge bullets from Microsoft and hardware manufactures to make sure they can never take my FS9 enjoyment away. This I have accomplished as well.

I'm not creating anything for FS9 right now as I have shifted all focus and committed to a long term project for another genre of game.

At some stage in my life I'll get back to more work with FS9 but my time and focus for the next few years will be away from flight sims.

Here is probably one of my fav interfaces from the released pack. Love Spidey!

Spider-Man.jpg

Mark Daniels

Wow... Good to see you back in the fray, João! Was very active with AW VA during my first FS go round in the 'teens; reloaded FS9 recently and of course, grabbed some of your Repaints and the AW Scenery for PAKT.

Hope to see the VA become more active once again!

Alan AW736 :)

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Wow... Good to see you back in the fray, João! Was very active with AW VA during my first FS go round in the 'teens; reloaded FS9 recently and of course, grabbed some of your Repaints and the AW Scenery for PAKT.

Hope to see the VA become more active once again!

Alan AW736 :)

Alan, wonderful blast from the past! :pilot: An AWEagle! Hope you're doing great, it have been quite a few years!

About AW... who knows? Not as a VA (with all the management that comes attached) but just a flight club to sit around the fire and share some bush flights, that wouldn't be impossible ;)

Joao AW001 ;)

Joao Paz

Hi,

My 1st was SubLogic FS for C64 somwhere in the early 80s. After the obligatory move to Amiga I got to the PC just in time for W95 and FS5 (I think). I got FS9 some 10-15yrs ago and that's when I started trying out some editing, aircraft and panel .cfgs and later AFCADs.

Nowadays I spend more time with ADE, Sbuilder and AIFP (and Notepad...) than actually flying...

Regards,

DDP.