Who still flies FS2004 regularly?

joaopaz

Folks,

If you are happy with the sim you use, that's all that really matters. Yes, I still use FS9! One of the main reasons is my wife. She has stated that if I go to different sim and spend as much money as I have spent on FS9, she will be in court on a homicide charge. I know we all become passionate about our preferred programs, but as long as you are enjoying it, does it really matter what others think and say?

"Cats"

• Like 1

Scott Clawson "Cats"

..................http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o279/clawsonsa/x-panthr.gif..................

http://flyvtwa.com/lib/signatures/TWA1501.png

Folks,

If you are happy with the sim you use, that's all that really matters. Yes, I still use FS9! One of the main reasons is my wife. She has stated that if I go to different sim and spend as much money as I have spent on FS9, she will be in court on a homicide charge. I know we all become passionate about our preferred programs, but as long as you are enjoying it, does it really matter what others think and say?

"Cats"

I can relate to all, although my wife sent me a similar warning about guitars and not really fs addons :D

If we FS9rs enjoy our sim let's just keep it alive and enjoy it. Time is really to scarce to spend fighting about it!

(I can relate to the black cat, too, and mine is right here trying to grab your signature! :D :D )

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

I am 86 y o and can no longer fly my real citation so i enjoy keeping my hand in by flying on my computer with a joystick and throttle on my desk this is a really terrific thing to help old flyers like me interested in aviation. This website is terrific.

OK. All those out there with a cathode ray computer monitor, raise your hands:)

Me! Me! Pick me!

Would trade in my LCD flat screen for a CRT without a moment's hesitation.

With CRT there's no up-scaling blur, there's no need to run at native resolution, motion resolution is wayyyy better, there's no display lag, and you can run at much higher refresh rates (up to 160 Hz).

Yes, they're bigger and weigh a ton, but they cannot be beat for gaming or any digital graphics work.

YMMV, of course.

Regards,

Dorian

If you are happy with the sim you use, that's all that really matters ....

.... as long as you are enjoying it, does it really matter what others think and say?

"PRECISELY" :) .... and very well stated too "CLAWSONA" ;)

MRC

[...] so why not promote it in the MSFS Screenshot Forum? [...]

Dear Dominik,

I like that Flightsim.com still offers seperate sections for each simulator. To stay with FS2004 is mostly a result of our own yearlong expierience. That results in the fact, that we luckely very seldom have missionaries here in the fs2004 section telling us diehard FS9ers what we do have to like instead.

On the other hand I guess the MSFS fanboys in their section apprechiate that too, to swim in their own lake with no sharks around. They will swim in another lake anyhow some years ahead.

Dedl

(FS2004-Team)

Dear Dominik,

I like that Flightsim.com still offers seperate sections for each simulator. To stay with FS2004 is mostly a result of our own yearlong expierience. That results in the fact, that we luckely very seldom have missionaries here in the fs2004 section telling us diehard FS9ers what we do have to like instead.

On the other hand I guess the MSFS fanboys in their section apprechiate that too, to swim in their own lake with no sharks around. They will swim in another lake anyhow some years ahead.

Dedl

(FS2004-Team)

Hi Dedl,

The MSFS Screenshot Forum encompasses all versions of "Microsoft Flight Simulator", hence its name.

Like many flight simmers, I too have shared screenshots from various sims over the years (FS2004 being one of them) and find it to be a wonderful place in which to share flight sim related imagery.

Sharing our experiences of flight simming with others, is one of the reasons why the hobby is so vibrant :-)

Cheers

Dominic

I am 86 y o and can no longer fly my real citation so i enjoy keeping my hand in by flying on my computer with a joystick and throttle on my desk this is a really terrific thing to help old flyers like me interested in aviation. This website is terrific.

So this was your first post here, Joel?

Welcome!

Wish you loads of fun flying your sim and participating in the forum as well :)

Joao Paz

I do! Not as much as I did earlier in my life, but until a large portion of the addons I love and use in FS2004/X get ported over to MSFS 2020, (Also waiting on HJG to start a transition since they still build for FS2004), I plan on sticking with FS2004 for as long as possible!

I do! Not as much as I did earlier in my life, but until a large portion of the addons I love and use in FS2004/X get ported over to MSFS 2020, (Also waiting on HJG to start a transition since they still build for FS2004), I plan on sticking with FS2004 for as long as possible!

21 FS9ers and counting :)

Joao Paz

This is a very interesting thread. I too still use FS9, in fact it remains my favourite version of FS. I have invested heavily in the sim with freeware and payware addons over the years. It looks and flies just great. I also use FSX and the new FS2020. I make no judgement about what other sims people use, as long as it works for them then that is all that matters.

I did unintentionally stir up a hornets nest with my "cautionary tale" thread on here regard problems with the new FS2020. But after my grump I persevered and to be fair the new sim is now a lot more stable. So live and let live, I say. As for FS9, it remains a truly remarked piece of work and I intend to keep using it for may years to come, addons and all.

Regards, and happy flying, Mark.

Thread title is self-explanatory, count me in :)

Just about everyday, for a few years now since I got back into the habit/hobby. And since I just now got into adding AI flight plans (and adding repaints for those planes), it's added another dimension to the experience I never had before.

But unlike most people, I think, I've never been interested in payware (I'm frugal/cheap) or scenery addons because my PC probably wouldn't handle most of the high resolution stuff. It's... "aged". It was actually a very decent PC with the brand new Core iX series processors; still is, really, other than the fact that they skimped on the video card.

I do have a couple of plane addons that I really like. The Lockheed Excalibur, that flies at over mach 1.8 and has a beautiful panel (even before I tweaked it), and the Fairchild C123, which is extraordinarily easy to fly.

After all this time, though, I still haven't flown any of the "old" planes, other than the DC-3. They don't quite interest me. Love the DC-3, tho, especially after someone offered a simple mod to the cfg file that makes the thing steerable while taxiing.

I generally go back and forth between the Learjet, the Excalibur, the Mooney, the C208 (love this one), the Fairchild, and the DC-3 as my go-to planes. I've also done some very limited mods to some of them, generally increasing range and/or speed.

And I have a tendency to mod the sh*t out of the panels. lol

I've also added about 5 or 6 sound files with EditVoicepack.

The only problem with the sim I ever have is that it still occasionally crashes after landing and I've just switched over to "ground". I thought I had that problem taken care of but my approach (no pun intended) has been to save my flight during approach. 99 times out of 100, tho, it won't crash, making that process moot. Better safe than sorry, tho, eh?

Oh, and here's another weird thing that happens to me all the time: when I first try to load FS9, nothing happens. M$ created a dll file that needs to be running before FS9 can start. If it's not already running, it will start the same time as FS9. But since it needs to be running beforehand, FS9 gets "stuck" at around 2,000K of ram and won't load, forcing me to "end process" via Task Manager and then restart it. Very rarely, it will start without that dll running.

Like all things M$, they put out a product that generally sucks. Then they come up with something that works really well out of the box (Win98, WinXP, Win7, CFS1&2, FS9, etc) and everyone's happy. Then either they build upon a previous product, adding bells and whistles, or start over from scratch, also adding bells and whistles, and futz it all up. (Vista, anyone, or Win10?)

But, honestly, I think I still prefer CFS, especially CFS2 (Pacific Theater). Unfortunately, since I have Win7, I can't run either version... and I still haven't partitioned my HDD with WinXP as the OS so I can run CFS.

Which reminds me of a question for you IT types: is partitioning my HDD with XP as the OS all I need to do to run CFS? Is the fact that my machine 64 bit an issue, too?

~ Hal

Edited by scott_295
If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

Just about everyday, for a few years now since I got back into the habit/hobby. And since I just now got into adding AI flight plans (and adding repaints for those planes), it's added another dimension to the experience I never had before.

But unlike most people, I think, I've never been interested in payware (I'm frugal/cheap) or scenery addons because my PC probably wouldn't handle most of the high resolution stuff. It's... "aged". It was actually a very decent PC with the brand new Core iX series processors; still is, really, other than the fact that they skimped on the video card.

I do have a couple of plane addons that I really like. The Lockheed Excalibur, that flies at over mach 1.8 and has a beautiful panel (even before I tweaked it), and the Fairchild C123, which is extraordinarily easy to fly.

After all this time, though, I still haven't flown any of the "old" planes, other than the DC-3. They don't quite interest me. Love the DC-3, tho, especially after someone offered a simple mod to the cfg file that makes the thing steerable while taxiing.

I generally go back and forth between the Learjet, the Excalibur, the Mooney, the C208 (love this one), the Fairchild, and the DC-3 as my go-to planes. I've also done some very limited mods to some of them, generally increasing range and/or speed.

And I have a tendency to mod the sh*t out of the panels. lol

I've also added about 5 or 6 sound files with EditVoicepack.

The only problem with the sim I ever have is that it still occasionally crashes after landing and I've just switched over to "ground". I thought I had that problem taken care of but my approach (no pun intended) has been to save my flight during approach. 99 times out of 100, tho, it won't crash, making that process moot. Better safe than sorry, tho, eh?

Oh, and here's another weird thing that happens to me all the time: when I first try to load FS9, nothing happens. M$ created a dll file that needs to be running before FS9 can start. If it's not already running, it will start the same time as FS9. But since it needs to be running beforehand, FS9 gets "stuck" at around 2,000K of ram and won't load, forcing me to "end process" via Task Manager and then restart it. Very rarely, it will start without that dll running.

Like all things M$, they put out a product that generally sucks. Then they come up with something that works really well out of the box (Win98, WinXP, Win7, CFS1&2, FS9, etc) and everyone's happy. Then either they build upon a previous product, adding bells and whistles, or start over from scratch, also adding bells and whistles, and futz it all up. (Vista, anyone, or Win10?)

But, honestly, I think I still prefer CFS, especially CFS2 (Pacific Theater). Unfortunately, since I have Win7, I can't run either version... and I still haven't partitioned my HDD with WinXP as the OS so I can run CFS.

Which reminds me of a question for you IT types: is partitioning my HDD with XP as the OS all I need to do to run CFS? Is the fact that my machine 64 bit an issue, too?

~ Hal

The issues you have can all be fixed. The loading FS9 issue is due to Win 7, nothing to do with FS9. Every Win 7 user should disable Games Explorer. The contact ground ATC crash there is also a reason but can't recall the solution. Regarding CFS/CFS2, I don't have an answer but will at some point as I intend to get them up and running myself. Let me know if you find no solution to running these and I will contact you when I get them going. Will be a while as they are not high on the priority list.

Mark Daniels

The issues you have can all be fixed. The loading FS9 issue is due to Win 7, nothing to do with FS9.

Oh, I already knew this. *@#%^&! Micro$oft.

Every Win 7 user should disable Games Explorer.

I did a Google search and found a thread that had a solution. 10 minutes later and no more hang. And it was a relatively easy fix, too. (running a couple of commands in cmd.exe and then deleting a couple keys in the registry) Thanks for the clue that pointed me in the right direction!!!

Is there some sort of sticky thread on this site with this solution? There should be, if not.

The contact ground ATC crash - there is also a reason but can't recall the solution.

I can deal with it for the time being. One thing I tried was not to answer ATC at all and just proceed to a parking spot. Damn thing crashed anyway. lol

Regarding CFS/CFS2, I don't have an answer but will at some point as I intend to get them up and running myself. Let me know if you find no solution to running these and I will contact you when I get them going. Will be a while as they are not high on the priority list.

Not real high on my priority list either, actually, as I'm still hooked on FS9. That said, if I could get them up and running, I'd probably get addicted to those real quickly.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

Is there some sort of sticky thread on this site with this solution? There should be, if not.

It also greatly increases the speed of FS launch time. This is the main reason people should do it. Some end up with your issue as well but everyone will have the slow launch problem. I can only tell people which I did when most were on Win 7. Kinda pointless now as most are on Win 10. In a few years maybe they'll remove one of the stickies here I totally disagree with because it's plain bad advice. The advice might've killed off a fair few FS9 users by that point but it's beyond my control.

Check caphavoc's post above. This is very much worth trying. He just beat me to it.

Oh, I started looking into the CFS's after your post. CFS2 should run on Win 7/10 without much of an issue it appears although I haven't attempted any installs myself.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Search for FS9.1 ATC Modification.zip

Thanks. I'll look for it.