New to FS2020 but NOT to FSX

Certainly the interface is entirely different more so than I imagined. I managed to get over many of the endless camera views and other eyewash effects and beginning to enjoy the great terrain detail and that of the airports as well as most of the cockpit screens.

I am having trouble with a few basic issues that searching and watching YouTube videos has only resulted in a big wasted effort:

---Finding the LOC frequency of the runways a given airport I can enter into the NAV settings in the G1000 at either the beginning of the flight or during a flight should I choose to divert to another airport or runway. The frequencies that are brought up at the beginning of the flight are for approach, ATIS Departure for voice, not the NAV frequencies for runway ust be a simple solution but it completely eludes me! I think I have the appropriate filters open to show this information as well.

---I would like to know if there is something like to old "MAP view" as in FSX to find all sorts of intersections and runway ILS frequencies "on the fly" and during flights without a flight plan to support diverting to another airport/runway in locating intersection and ILS runway frequencies is easily accomplished. Is this possible in FS2020 WITHOUT closing down the flight starting a new to find the map view to locate the ILS frequencies during flight? Otherwise, navigating freely to another location as in a real world scenario doesn't seem possible which I hope I just missing something simple.

Finally I have discovered that the parking brake which is set by default at takeoff is no longer being toggled by the Cntrl+del or "." key stroke, making is necessary to change views in the cockpit to locate the emergency brake. Actually, I would be happy to eliminate this default parking brake setting completely if possible. That way its more real world than a "game" setting.

Much thanks in advance for your input.

Processor 11th Gen Intel® Core i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

Nvidia Geforce GTX 2060

Hi, glad you’re enjoying the new sim. It’s a completely different program to FSX and all the previous ones though.

There is a basic map within the sim but it’s pretty useless. There are loads of addon maps though.. like this one for example.. https://msfsaddons.com/2020/11/12/fspm-vfr-map-another-great-msfs-toolbar-mod-with-a-moving-map/

or this one… https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/plugin-vfrmap

some use little navmap. I used to use one that displayed the map on my iPad (there are several apps that do this)

As for the parking brake, you can simply bind a control for it. I have an old throttle lever set as mine. The parking brake isn’t on by default for most aircraft, unless I pull the lever back ( although I have noticed it comes on with certain aircraft)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks Steve for the input.

I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which I got years ago when using FS2009. Ha how far this has come. To the parking brake issue, I don't see an option to anywhere to assign it even to duplicate it to the throttle on the joystick. If you could elaborate a bit I know that all the planes I have tried when setting up a departure/arrival airport the program starts with the plane on the runway selected with parking brake applied and no default means to disengage it which use to be cntrl+"." or del on the keypad. Now I have to go into the cockpit to manually disengage it.

Regarding the NAV requencies, any ideas regarding where these can be found in 2020? I do not understand why this isn't more conveniently modeled as in FSX. In this respect, it seems the developers went backwards.

Much thanks Steve1

Nvidia Geforce GTX 2060

Hi, the default key binding for “toggle parking brakes” is CTRL + NUM DECIMAL

You can change this to whatever you want of course.

I don’t double up my throttle lever as the parking brake. My main throttle unit is a Honeycomb Bravo, but I also have some Saitek throttles attached. I’ve got one of the Saitek levers setup for “set parking brake” that way I can pull or release the brake as and when required. It works rather well :)

If you need any help on setting the controls, there are loads of useful tutorials on YouTube,

Like this one…

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Steve,

Sorry I spoke too soon regarding the parking brake. I was indeed able to map it to an unused key on the Logitech joystick.

Thanks

Nvidia Geforce GTX 2060

No problem. That’s one thing sorted :)

Regards

Steve