Too much difference between cpu and gpu usage

Hi!, I am really much about PCs apart from fast one and slow one. When I fly mfs 2020 and I check usage of the cpu and gpu the teskmanager shows CPU beteween 28% and 40% while the GPU is using around 100%-97% is the lowest. Some people say if you

use the GPU around 100% constantly then GPU life is being reduced. Is it possible to set a limit for the GPU not to run above the set

limit? if so then please give me some ideas. My PC Config. are Ryzen 5 1500X, 16gb memory , 500gb M2 ssd and GTX 970 graphic card

Thanks

After you start the sim, go to Options then General settings. I have marked with orange arrows things you can change that might lower your GPU workload, and may not change your visual a lot. You don't say what monitor resolution you are running? That makes a big difference!

There are better ways to set a frame rate limit, but since you say you don't understand a lot about your PC, I have made it simple.;

Ooops, I forgot to mark the first Render Scaling option. That should have an orange arrow as well.

Once you have set all the options you must save them to have effect.

Note the settings behind the orange arrows are not what I run. I have lowered them to suggested settings for you to try. I also lowered render scaling which i forgot to mark.

Set1.jpg

SET2.jpg

Set3.jpg

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Actually that's pretty standard with the CPU being used far less than the GPU. The MSFS engine is CPU bottlenecked which really shows as you go higher up in resolution settings/monitors. It is the complete opposite of previous FS versions from FSX on back which were GPU bottlenecked where the 1-2 core speed was way more important than what GPU you had at any resolution and quality setting.

My rig is running on average about 25%-75% bias use between the CPU/GPU respectively based on what GeForce Experience overlay says - and that's at 1440p resolution with maxed quality settings and 60FPS lock. The GFE utility only splits the use adding up to 100% combined always - it never shows 100% GPU use and 25% CPU use. I'd recommend getting a second opinion on what your GPU and CPU are doing. Windows task manager is historically notorious for erroneous information on what the hardware is doing. Get CPU-Z and GPU-Z and either MSI Afterburner or Nividia GeForce Experience to find out what your hardware is *really* doing.

All that said, there is a recent fear of people worrying about their older GPUs dying early. It is understandable due to the GPU shortage which apparently will be long term. I still have one of my two EVGA 970s, an SC Gaming (blower cooler style) used in an old former SLI gaming build. It still runs after over 1,000 hours of use just as it did out of the gate based on volts and heat record keeping. GPUs will last a long time so long as you don't overclock with increased voltage and maintain good thermal temps. GPU processors are made to be used like CPUs. Here's a quick thread about it:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/high-fps-gpu-load-and-its-effects-on-the-lifespan.2777977/

Edited by N069NT
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

After you start the sim, go to Options then General settings. I have marked with orange arrows things you can change that might lower your GPU workload, and may not change your visual a lot. You don't say what monitor resolution you are running? That makes a big difference!

There are better ways to set a frame rate limit, but since you say you don't understand a lot about your PC, I have made it simple.;

Ooops, I forgot to mark the first Render Scaling option. That should have an orange arrow as well.

Once you have set all the options you must save them to have effect.

Note the settings behind the orange arrows are not what I run. I have lowered them to suggested settings for you to try. I also lowered render scaling which i forgot to mark.

Thank you very much I will adjust the setting to your suggested ones later on thanks again for your kind efforts

n