Question on FPS Limitation

Years ago, some sage here told me that the human eye can't really discern differences in FPS much above 25, so I figured limiting my FPS would make little practical difference, while putting less strain on my GPU, and therefore helping to prevent CTDs and/or permitting sliders to go further to the right.

So I limited my FPS to 30 (as I do in P3D). (Yeah, I know -- others here insist they can tell the difference between very high FPSs. Good for them.)

Now that I've relearned how to check FPS (it used to be the Windows key + G; now that merely opens the xBox menu, where you have to click on the performance tab), I see that my FPS is substantially over 30: 50-60, usually. I have not had a CTD for over a month, since the hotfix amending the disastrous mandatory update on or about July 27.

Someone else here told me not to limit FPS in the sim, but in my Invidia control panel. That didn't work, because I can't find any such adjustment in my Invidia control panel.

So -- assuming limiting the FPS is a good idea for the reasons stated at the outset, how do you do it?

I use the sim ingame setting to limit mine to 30 FPS. Can't remember though which section, but it is obvious :)
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

It’s the v-sync setting. You turn it on and limit it to 30

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Steve,

As I said, "I limited my FPS to 30" in my Graphics setting. V-sync has to be on. Trouble is, the limit has no apparent effect.

V-sync in MSFS must be OFF for a non G-sync supported monitor. Limit the FPS only in the Nvidia control panel. It overrides any in-game FPS setting (of any game, not just MSFS):

3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Max Frame Rate -> Program Settings

Save it as a new custom game setting profile under MSFS. I've been doing this for years since FSX with a non G-sync 1440p monitor. More info in this MSFS forum thread:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/for-those-of-you-locking-frames-at-30-try-this-out/387563

i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

Mine is set that way (under graphics with V-sync on) and i just checked it and the lock is working just as it should. It will fluctuate slightly if you have a lot of rapid terrain change, but it is very consistent when flying over open farmland.

I don't think the information above is completely correct. I don't think my monitor is a G-sync supported monitor (old Asus PA248), and it works great for me.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I don't think the information above is completely correct. I don't think my monitor is a G-sync supported monitor, and it works great for me.

Okay I just fired up and unchecked my 60FPS setting in the Nvidia control panel and fired up the sim and locked 1440p at 60FPS with V-sync on in the game setting (full screen of course). I used the default Naples discovery flight to compare before and after. The game FPS lock created screen tears when I panned around the cockpit. I closed the game and launched the Nvidia control panel again and checked the 60FPS lock and went back and re-launched MSFS and unchecked V-sync. Panning returned to the normal no screen tears. BUT it did hold the same 60FPS.

It's apparent we are dealing with more gremlin hardware issues where what works for some does not work for others and vice versa. What drew my attention to the original comment was that he didn't even see an option to FPS limit in the Nvidia control panel. I think it's important we all list our hardware to help others as well going through these continued MSFS "learning curves" revolving settings.

i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

Actually, your results make sense. My monitor is a 24" 1920X1200, an odd size only about 115% more demanding than 1080p. Any lag may not appear with a less demanding monitor, plus it may be less noticeable on a smaller screen. That is the reason I phrased it "not completely correct", in that your method is better in a general sense, but it does lock my fps (in my case at 30, which also would be less demanding, hence no tears).

"

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

V-sync in MSFS must be OFF for a non G-sync supported monitor. Limit the FPS only in the Nvidia control panel. It overrides any in-game FPS setting (of any game, not just MSFS):

3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Max Frame Rate -> Program Settings

O I C. I did see the "3D Settings" tab in the control panel. I did not look there because I somehow foolishly thought that "3D" meant "three-dimensional," like those movies and some computer graphics you look at through those funny glasses.