Glitch When Flying Into New Time Zones

scott_295

I've noticed this in two areas and with two different planes. The first time I was flying west in a Cessna C208 somewhere around Lake Kivu just west of Rwanda, less than 30 minutes before sunrise. One minute it's night and the next it's day. I determined it was when I crossed a time zone but figured it was a glitch with just that area.

Yesterday, I flew a jet capable of Mach 1.9+ from Sydney to Perth, which are two time zones apart. I took off about 15 or 20 minutes before sunrise and the same thing happened as the first time. How in God's name could I be flying faster than the Earth is rotating and the sun catches up with me? (FYI, the Earth rotates at ~870 kts at the equator and I was flying ~1100 kts at roughly 35° south)

Just now, I'm flying from Perth over to Africa and the same thing happened again!

Bear in mind, it's winter in the southern hemisphere so...

I figured out what the problem is. The clock in the plane shows both local and zulu time, which were 0528 and 0028. When the "scenery updated", which I assume was when I crossed a time zone, both times had jumped ahead an hour so that they were suddenly 0628 and 0128 and the sun was now about 5° above the horizon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm flying west and cross into a new time zone, shouldn't the local time decrease an hour while zulu stays the same?

Now here's the creme de la creme: the other day I flew from Perth to Tierra del Fuego (southern tip of South America); same time of year, too. I left just before sunrise. After crossing Antarctica, I noticed the sky kept getting lighter and lighter the farther north I flew (I abandoned the flight). Perth is at around longitude 110°E and TdF is around -65°W. In other words, they're almost on opposite sides of the globe. And I'm talking about a flight that should take about 5:10:00 so there's no way in hell it could be daylight.

It boggles the mind. lol

Edited by DominicS
language...
If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

You can always install FSRealTime v1.99e (however, I think it is no longer being developed). Do a Google search.

What you're really looking for in FSRealTime is Dennis Thompson's World Time Zones v3.0 files which comes bundled with the software; this eliminates many of the time zone errors that shipped with FS9.

Dorian

You can always install FSRealTime v1.99e (however, I think it is no longer being developed). Do a Google search.

What you're really looking for in FSRealTime is Dennis Thompson's World Time Zones v3.0 files which comes bundled with the software; this eliminates many of the time zone errors that shipped with FS9.

Dorian

Thanks, but it's not available anywhere. I did find v1.96.8 that comes with World Time Zones v3.0. I'll try that.

Edited by scott_295
If the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... hee hee. Oh, you ought to see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a 52 - vrooom! Ha! Its jet exhaust frying chickens in the barnyard! Ha ha! - Gen Buck Turgidson

After using it, I see a major problem with it: you can offset the time but not the date. And that's a problem for me because I don't fly every day and the flight I'm currently flying is dated May 6. Whenever FSRT updates, it changes the date to the current one. In order to correct that, I have to change the date in the time/date settings for my PC to May 6. That, then, prevents me from going online because all the security certificates are dated after that. I suppose I could change the date of the flight to Sep 4 but the first day I don't fly and then go back to it, the dates are going to be off again and it's going to correct it. I see that as a major lack of foresight.

I did, however, find a more current version here on FlightSim and it does let you change the date. Should have been added in the first place. The problem, now, is that it will only work for an hour unless I register and I have to purchase the registration key to do that. Clicking on the link in the help menu takes me to a empty website. Well that's just great. :rolleyes:

Thank you! I've seen the Fly Away website in the past but that version of the program didn't come up in my search results.

I was thinking about it last night and if you're no longer supporting your own program nor, at least, making it available to be purchased, it seems to me you should at least remove the registration requirement. Of course, the real people to blame is Micro$oft, ultimately.

Hopefully, version 1.77 that doesn't require any kind of registration.

Thanks again!