Scenery Priority Quicky...

peugeot309style

Hi,

I know about keeping the scenery orders in FS9, but I was wondering about this scenario...

As an example, you have priorities 1-10 set to your UK scenery files. Priorities 11-20 are USA.

Today you will fly USA. You don't need the UK files to load as you won't be flying there.

If you disable priorities 1-10, close the sim, and re start it, even though USA was 11-20 in the priority list, having now disabled the UK files above it - will the sim now make USA the pain priority, even though it is still listed as 11-20, or do you have to move all of the files (slowly) up the ladder so USA is now 1-10, and the UK 11-20?

It's quite a slow and laborious task moving priorities about it FS9!

Thanks

FS9 will just ignore the layers that you've unchecked and skip to the next one that has a tick. You don't have to move anything, you don't have to renumber anything and you don't have to delete anything. If you just want to shave a quarter second off your load time, try having several different scenery.cfg files, each with only whatever specific scenery interests you at that time.

Unnecessary aircraft slow things down much more and having a cutdown Aircraft folder is much more effective.

Incidentally, if you do decide to rearrange scenery from within FS9, click once on the Move Down button then you can just hold the D key on your keyboard. Same goes for Move Up and U.

D

I really don't think you need to re-order, disable or enable anything!

FS9 will load only what scenery it needs for the job in hand.

My UK scenery is fairly comprehensive, especially in England and Wales and, from the start screen from a 'cold' start, will take several minutes to load to any airport in that area.

My "test" environment is in the middle of the Sahara … no scenery 'cept a couple of runways for a goodly distance and I'm up and running in a tenth of the time.

Obviously if you normally start at a default airport, all that scenery will need to load before you can change airport or select a flight. From the start screen FS9 will have only loaded it's basic configuration and will continue loading as necessary once it knows where it's going :)

Enjoy!

If you just want to shave a quarter second off your load time, try having several different scenery.cfg files, each with only whatever specific scenery interests you at that time.

That's a good solution. I share different scenery.cfg not for specific areas, but for different time perionds. Called for example 'scenery 1935', 'scenery 1947' and so on. These configuration files activated the suitable sceneries of the time period chosen. It just needs to rename 'scenery x.cfg'

in shortly 'scenery.cfg'.

The less sceneries have to be loaded, the faster FS9 will start.

The priority isn't indeed important. With one exception: Object placement files like Instant Scenery should always be at the top. Otherwise objects wouldn't be shown.

Bernard

FS9 will load only what scenery it needs for the job in hand.

I thought that might be the case.

There must be some range around the player beyond which scenery isn't loaded, something that is quite apparent in a zoomed-out top-down view. I guess that scenery has an effective 'spawn range' just like AI.

Yours a good simple solution for the test flights too, better than my cut-down test scenery.cfg.

D

FS9 will just ignore the layers that you've unchecked and skip to the next one that has a tick. You don't have to move anything, you don't have to renumber anything and you don't have to delete anything. If you just want to shave a quarter second off your load time, try having several different scenery.cfg files, each with only whatever specific scenery interests you at that time.

Unnecessary aircraft slow things down much more and having a cutdown Aircraft folder is much more effective.

Incidentally, if you do decide to rearrange scenery from within FS9, click once on the Move Down button then you can just hold the D key on your keyboard. Same goes for Move Up and U.

D

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am transferring all to W8 so it's taking a bit of time rebuilding the sim. Like you say, that's how I did things once all the scenery was set up. One .cfg for, in this example, the UK, then another for USA only, or two scnery collections for if I was commuting between two countries.

Handy to know that I don't have to keep rearranging the files to the top of the list now, and I can just turn off/on what I need for the .cfg files.

Thanks for that and to everyone who replied :)

Have a good flight.

That's a good solution. I share different scenery.cfg not for specific areas, but for different time perionds. Called for example 'scenery 1935', 'scenery 1947' and so on. These configuration files activated the suitable sceneries of the time period chosen. It just needs to rename 'scenery x.cfg'

in shortly 'scenery.cfg'.

The less sceneries have to be loaded, the faster FS9 will start.

The priority isn't indeed important. With one exception: Object placement files like Instant Scenery should always be at the top. Otherwise objects wouldn't be shown.

Bernard

Thanks for that :)

I thought initially if you had all your UK scenery down at 60+ in the list, it wouldn't show up in as good detail as those at the top of the list, becuase it wasn't such a priority in the list.

So it doesn't really matter then where in the list everything is - it will still load up in equal quality.

Like you say, you just need to get the sequence correct.

I have my airports higher than my photo scenery and terrain.

As you point out, landmarks and ground objects should go higher up the list.