I RL-flew from KLAX to KORD Friday on an American B-787, my second trip in the Dreamliner. I was sitting in the forward cabin. While the flight was boarding, I was admiring the plane’s avionics through the flight deck’s open door. I asked a flight attendant if I could have a closer look. Sure, she said and conducted me to the doorway, where she introduced me to the pilots—who invited me in. Standing behind them, I asked if I could take a picture. Sit down, they said. We’ll take your picture. So here I am, in the captain’s chair—at the gate. I told them I was an armchair-MSFS pilot. I asked them how soon they engaged the AP after takeoff and when the disengaged it before landing. They said that in VFR conditions, they would hand-fly the plane to 18,000 ft. although other pilots would engage the AP shortly after takeoff. When landing, they said, they would disengage it at 3,000 ft. But of course, they said, the plane could land itself. 585a0b246250f0fdc39992e23454132d.jpg

On the B-787 flight deck, at the gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Hi Steve, thanks for sharing! You’re making us all jealous though :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Feeling genuine thrills on your behalf for having this experience! Totally awesome.

As I've started getting to know more RL pilots, there's definitely admiration by them of MSFS. The young CFI who flew me around the island of Kaua'i actually built his own computer just to fly MSFS, which he uses for various practice reasons.

There's an older CFI--retired airline pilot--who flew in to meet me in Northern Arizona last weekend for a flight instruction session. He flew in on his personally-owned Cessna 140, which was gorgeous. (I took a pic, see below). When I mentioned to him that a Cessna 140 just came online in MSFS and I had flown it, he was pretty happy (though I'm pretty sure he's not an MSFS user). He just couldn't believe that enough sim people loved the 140 enough to create a sim model of one.

p52.jpg

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

So I took off in a B-787 (from KSJC) in MSFS yesterday, just to check out the sim's instrument panel. It looks just like the RL thing, of course. When I visited the actual flight deck, the pilots told me that nowadays the avionics in GA aircraft are much more sophisticated than the B-787's. Stands to reason, since the B-787 made its maiden flight 12 years ago, an eon in tech-time. I had no idea how to land the damn plane in the sim (let alone in RL), so I escaped out of the flight before I could get into any trouble. I think I'll ease into jets with the CJ4 before I try flying--and landing--a heavy. Toward that end, can anybody tell me how to map the spoilers--or air brakes, or whatever they're called--to my flight yoke?
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5