Seeking advice on upgrading to latest version

Hi there,

I haven't used FS on my new laptop yet. I have FS9 and just like to fly single engine amphibians all over the place. Favorite plane has been the Nardi Riviera as it can go nearly anywhere. Not even sure if it is compatible or available for FS 2020/

I've upgraded my system to an:

HP Omen gaming laptop

Coreâ„¢ i7-10750H

64 gigs of ram

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2070 (8 GB GDDR6

It only came with a 250gb SSD and a 1TB HDD but had an extra small SSD port so I added a 2 TB ssd to that and swapped the 1tb HDD for a 1 TB SSD from my old laptop, so I think I've gone as far as I can with the hardware and am hoping that is sufficient for the new FS 2020.

I'm thinking of getting the Premium Deluxe edition so I don't have to wish I did later.

I'm wondering if anything from my old FS9 will be compatible ....scenery, aircraft etc or if I have to start from scratch.

The Joystick I have is a Saitek Cyborg Evo which worked great in FS9 but now I plug it in on this new laptop and it lights up but I don't see it showing up anywhere in Sound, Video and Game Controllers, yet I get no 'unrecognized' message. I searched online for a driver for it and got to this link: ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full/Saitek_Cyborg_Evo_SD6_64.exe but it produces nothing but a blank screen. I had to pick an app to get it and selected Chrome. Now when I click it there is no option for what app to use and it still just gives me a blank screen. So, not sure what I need to do ...keep trying to find a driver or give up and find a new joystick for the program.

Note also wondering if anyone has seen a aircraft for FS2020 ....the SeaRey amphibian.

Any advice on the above would be welcome as I'd like to get ready for spending many hours on in the new program next winter when it is very cold here in Canada.

I think you will have enough computer to run the program well.

It is a completely different program than FS2000-FSX. Different sim engine, different commands, scenery is completely different. The good news, is the scenery is better than custom FSX scenery, right out of the box, stunningly accurate. Don't expect your old aircraft to work. You will have to learn a new way to operate the sim, it doesn't resemble the old FSX.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Your laptop is a beast and will run FS9 with every slider to the right. Just please limit your FPS; there's a sound issue when FPS is over 100. First world problems hehe...

And no, I dare to say that nothing from FS9 will be compatible with FS2020... but there's nothing that prevents you from installing both, specially when you have already taken care of storage. Your laptop should do fine with FS2020 as long as you keep temperatures in check. This means undervolting and limiting clock speed a bit so that it does not throttle.

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

I'm thinking of getting the Premium Deluxe edition so I don't have to wish I did later.

Others may differ, but my experience is the other way round. I bought the Premium Deluxe edition and I wholeheartedly wish I had bought the Standard, since functionality is exactly the same, and anyway I ended deleting most of the stock aircraft and airports (which I'll never use), and depending almost exclusively on 3rd party add-ons, both freeware and payware.

Additionally, THERE IS an upgrade path if you buy the standard, and later-on you want a higher version (admittedly a bit more expensive than buying the higher version right off the bat), but of course the opposite is not possible.

I'm wondering if anything from my old FS9 will be compatible ....scenery, aircraft etc or if I have to start from scratch.

Guess no. I've seen lately some free conversions of FSX aircraft to MSFS (more or less successful), but haven't heard of FS9 stuff.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I bought the Premium Deluxe on day one & I’m glad I did.

If you bought the standard version & then upgraded later.. I costs almost the same price as if buying it again.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I bought the Premium Deluxe on day one & I’m glad I did.

If you bought the standard version & then upgraded later.. I costs almost the same price as if buying it again.

Regards

Steve

Yea, I had thought it would be less, the wife was letting me purchase it as an anniversary gift :) I was not going to spend that much on myself.

Get the highest version that you can afford FIRST!!!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality