Hi

After thinking, rethinking, having some extra bugdet and seeing that good monitors are also in shortage like GPUs, I have now two options for a good Microsoft Flight Simulator monitor at a great discount:

- Dell Allienware AW3420DW with G-Sync native, 3440*1440, but no HDR >>> 850 euros

- LG 48A16LA 48" OLED UltraHD 4K with fixed refresh rate at 60 Hz and HDR10 (is it true?) >>> 1015 euros

My main problem is tearing, lag or stutters when MSFS is going to 20-30 fps since I like to have all types of extra addons installed like AI aircraft, volumetric clouds and so on... Going down to 25/30 fps, it seems that a G-Sync native monitor is better but I lose the HDR...

Which one to choose? I still have one day to decide... I will also use the same monitor for video editing.

My main specs are: i9-10900K, Asus RTX 3090 OC, MSI MEG Z490 ACE, RAM 32 GB 3200 CL16 and Kraken Z73.

I've read that the higher the refresh rate, the better things will look. Came out of a PC Magazine article.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-gaming-monitors

Was not the same article, but still has good information

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I've read that the higher the refresh rate, the better things will look. Came out of a PC Magazine article.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-gaming-monitors

Was not the same article, but still has good information

A very interesting article, however it does not answer to my question, also because those 10 identified monitors are not available in my country, and I believe not everywhere as well...

I have an HDR monitor. The short answer is that HDR10 sucks on Windows. Yes, it makes the game look slightly prettier. But in my case I had to fiddle considerably in Nvidia control panel; the result was that windows itself then looked slightly off. Furhter, any screenshots you take will look completely wrong.

I've since deactivated the HDR functionality. After 2 minutes, your eyes will adjust to SDR (?) and it will look just fine.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

I have an HDR monitor. The short answer is that HDR10 sucks on Windows. Yes, it makes the game look slightly prettier. But in my case I had to fiddle considerably in Nvidia control panel; the result was that windows itself then looked slightly off. Furhter, any screenshots you take will look completely wrong.

I've since deactivated the HDR functionality. After 2 minutes, your eyes will adjust to SDR (?) and it will look just fine.

So, the Allienware is better.

And Acer X34P with 8 bit colour + FRC? Is it too much difference from an 8 bit colour monitor?

So, the Allienware is better.

And Acer X34P with 8 bit colour + FRC? Is it too much difference from an 8 bit colour monitor?

If it was my money, then I'd go for the Alienware. The ultrawide is very nice too. My monitor is also an ultrawide, but of a much lower resolution. Either way, I'll never go back to 16:9 and MSFS makes great use of the extra screen space by increasing your field of view.

About the Acer, I'm afraid I don't know 8 bit + FRC is, and I need to go to bed now, haha!

Here you go: https://www.isolapse.com/true-10-bit-vs-8-bit-frc-monitor-what-is-the-difference/

I'm not sure what the utility FRC would be to MSFS, or if it's even supported. I know HDR10 needs to be activated in game, but I doubt there will be an FRC setting to activate...so you may not get any use out of it.

In my opinion, if you're happy with how colours look on your current monitor, don't change unless you have a very good reason to. If it costs extra, invest it where you know it will make a difference: CPU, GPU, RAM, etc...

Like I said earlier, HDR10 makes the sim look a little nicer and slightly more vibrant. But it's certainly not night and day. I used it for a month or so, then got sick of the fact that windows always looked weird (I should explain that HDR10 needs to also be activated in windows for it to work in MSFS - so it's system wide). You also can't share videos or screenshots, since they were taken in HDR, but most viewers only display SDR - so it looks very weird.

So I just got sick of all the hassle and deactivated it. The difference isn't huge, and after 2 minutes I forgot about it.

If you run into supply issues, I bought this model and am absolutely loving it- It is G-sync ready, the curve gives a nice perspective to flights, and there is virtually no tearing, blurries, ghosting that I've seen. Good luck with whatever choice you make- you are going to love whatever you are getting it sounds like!

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-odyssey-g9-gaming-monitor-lc49g97tssnxdc/

If you run into supply issues, I bought this model and am absolutely loving it- It is G-sync ready, the curve gives a nice perspective to flights, and there is virtually no tearing, blurries, ghosting that I've seen. Good luck with whatever choice you make- you are going to love whatever you are getting it sounds like!

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-odyssey-g9-gaming-monitor-lc49g97tssnxdc/

I am sorry... I believe it is a lovely monitor due to its specs but it is too much money for now... Unfortunately the GPU was too expensive because we are living with GPU shortage. I thought monitors where you feel the real immersion would be less expensive. :(

I hope to have a good decision with the Alienware AW3420DW. It costs already more than I was thinking.

I am sorry... I believe it is a lovely monitor due to its specs but it is too much money for now... Unfortunately the GPU was too expensive because we are living with GPU shortage. I thought monitors where you feel the real immersion would be less expensive. :(

I hope to have a good decision with the Alienware AW3420DW. It costs already more than I was thinking.

Just out of curiosity, which GPU did you buy?

I had intended to upgrade my ancient 970... But alas, moving is horrifically expensive, so it'll have to do for a while still. :(

I’d love an RTX 3090 but I’m not prepared to pay the current prices.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles