I Miss My VR Flight Experience

I have been flying in 2-D mode on my 3 monitor setup ever since my new HP Reverb G2 quit working. It is definitely not the same and is very difficult to see the outside and the instrument panel by scrolling with my flight yoke hat switch. I have to continually zoom in and out to see the instruments which is a huge pain in the you know what. Unfortunately, HP diagnosed my problem as a faulty cable and it is on backorder. I can't wait to get the VR up and running again as for me the 2-D panel sucks ever since I started using VR. VR looks so realistic that it does not compare to computer monitors. I guess VR has spoiled me.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hi Kevin, I feel for you.

I too have a three screen setup as you probably know, but I wouldn’t want to go back to using them. People who haven’t tried VR don’t realise how good it is.

Did they give any indication on how long the replacement cable would take? You would think they would have spares wouldn’t you?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks Steve. Once I used VR I can't even fly with just 3 monitors anymore. It is not as realistic as VR. Apparently, the cable is a known issue and is being updated and on back order. I was told possibly today (the 24th) should be when they are available. I won't hold my breath. I can't wait to get flying again.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Current gen VR cannot match the rez of a good monitor (even a 2K one) but I appreciate the feeling of immersion and more importantly the ease of seeing instruments :)

In the meantime why not set up view hotkeys? I have tied the view hotkeys to the number pad which compliment the hat swtich well.

Numpad:

7 = forward left

8 = main panel view straight ahead

9 = forward right

4 = left wing

5 = zoom into autopilot/PFD/MFD

6 = right wing

1 = look rear left

2 = look down at center console

3 = look rear right

0 = landing view over the panel

I have these things assigned to my Hat Switch so when I fly in 2-D I can look around. I also have assignments to other buttons on my Alpha Flight Yoke for zoom in and out plus other functions. Unfortunately, I have been spoiled by using VR. After using VR you can't go back to a computer monitor, ever. Once you find VR, you will never go back! Edited by kevinfolsom

Current gen VR cannot match the rez of a good monitor (even a 2K one) but I appreciate the feeling of immersion and more importantly the ease of seeing instruments :)

In the meantime why not set up view hotkeys? I have tied the view hotkeys to the number pad which compliment the hat swtich well.

Numpad:

7 = forward left

8 = main panel view straight ahead

9 = forward right

4 = left wing

5 = zoom into autopilot/PFD/MFD

6 = right wing

1 = look rear left

2 = look down at center console

3 = look rear right

0 = landing view over the panel

I'm sorry. You have gave me an alternative for my problem and I did not acknowledge that. You are right. Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry. You have gave me an alternative for my problem and I did not acknowledge that. You are right. Thank you for your reply.

No problem! It was just while you wait for the VR to come back but like you said you already have switch-assignments set on all your controls!

I did get to try my friends Occulus VR set and the issue for me was 2 things: I found the rez low and I found out that I got a bit sick + a headache. Guess Im in the minority for whom it doesnt work too good.

I have discovered theres a nice middle ground - Track IR. Might look into that!

Hope your VR set comes back soon so you can get back to flying the way you want :cool:

I can't get into vr anymore. Keeps asking for me to assign a key. Of course it's left Control, but wont assign it.

I take it, it was working before? Something’s obviously gone wrong, but you need to assign it before launching VR. I presume you already know that, but why not try assigning a different key.. maybe a button on your yoke/joystick etc?

Hope this helps.

I personally can’t fly without VR anymore.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

VR is tempting, but I'm happy with TrackIR and plan to stick with it for now. I got TrackIR so I could keep runways in sight on downwind and base legs with a slight turn of my head, a big improvement in convenience and simulated reality over relying on a hat switch. I've since found that being able to look around in cruising flight on autopilot--looking left and "leaning out," for example, to look at buildings or terrain below as I would if I were in plane in RL--is enough immersion for me. I'm reluctant to be isolated in a VR headset for an hour or more at a time, a la the characters in "Ready Player One." Plus, I don't like that MSFS's current VR weds you to using a mouse to control all the panels, and so forth--a setup that would render my Logitech radio and multipanel useless under a VR "hood." I may get there some day, but I'm not in a hurry.
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5