Hi! Guys My current M2nve hard drive on which the MSFS2020 is installed is getting full I am wondering if I move the Addon Linker to a different hard drive which is just

a normal sata3 hard drive and of course it's not as fast as M2nve drive. Please kindly mentioned if anybody has tried this method

Thanks a lot.

It makes no difference where the Add-on Linker is stored. But as it requires only 78 MB, where you put it doesn't matter a great deal. What is much more important is that you store your Add-on files on a separate drive from the one MSFS is on. (I have over 300GB).

It makes no difference where the Add-on Linker is stored. But as it requires only 78 MB, where you put it doesn't matter a great deal. What is much more important is that you store your Add-on files on a separate drive from the one MSFS is on. (I have over 300GB).

Once again I must ask: why is it that important?

Guess it must be in order to speed up loading times, because as far as MS updates are concerned, I'm more convinced every day that such updates don't alter anything in the Community folder at all.

Of course some of your add-ons may become obsolete after an update and require updating in turn, but this will happen regardless of where you have them stored.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I am a bit surprised that you ask. It makes sense to keep as much room as possible on your MSFS drive available for the frequent MSFS updates, which of course are automatically stored on that drive. So why put add-ons (or any other files) there when they don't need to be? Note that the OP for this thread is concerned because his MSFS drive is filling up. Most of us will have the same problem sooner or later.

I am a bit surprised that you ask. It makes sense to keep as much room as possible on your MSFS drive available for the frequent MSFS updates, which of course are automatically stored on that drive. So why put add-ons (or any other files) there when they don't need to be? Note that the OP for this thread is concerned because his MSFS drive is filling up. Most of us will have the same problem sooner or later.

Of course having plenty of HD room is always desirable, and your advice to the OP was only wise (BTW, what does OP stand for?).

Fortunately enough I don't have room problems (not yet, anyway), and I was using the topic to introduce a different question, if I may, since I see you're knowledgeable in the matter:

room question aside, why to avoid having your files in the Community folder (or having them replaced by links), when it's obvious that MS/Asobo updates don't alter at all the contents of that folder?

The only reason I can think of is to speed up loading times, and I'm not even sure if that's so.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Of course having plenty of HD room is always desirable, and your advice to the OP was only wise (BTW, what does OP stand for?).

OP-Opening post

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I don't think it will work from a different hard drive if it would then I would have been able to free up around 15 gig of space

on the drive on which MSFS2020 is installed. Last night I tried by moving the addon folder to a different drive and it didn't

work. Probably because of different speed of the different drives. Regards

I don't think it will work from a different hard drive if it would then I would have been able to free up around 15 gig of space

on the drive on which MSFS2020 is installed. Last night I tried by moving the addon folder to a different drive and it didn't

work. Probably because of different speed of the different drives. Regards

Add-on files can be stored anywhere; if Add-on Linker is set up correctly, it will place links to those files in Community. That is certainly my experience and I believe generally among users. In fact, this is one of the main advantages to Add-on Linker.

I have all of my add on's n their own separate folder MSFS Addon. When I first set my addon manager op, it asked where my addons would be stored at. Once that was done, the rest was even easier. :)
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality