Reinstalling MSFS-- Just way too confusing for me to comprehend ARRGH!

prem vs stand.jpg

I told it to install the premium version, which it somehow says I already own (don't know how it knows that, if I currently have it uninstalled, but I won't complain for the time being).

Why is it trying to DL and install the Standard version, when I specifically asked it to DL the premium version? Why does it say I already own the version, when I just uninstalled it?

Why is it showing me a pending download screen in the Microsoft Store window, instead of the large splash screen in the simulator, with the big, long, blue progress bar across the bottom of the screen?

I don't know if it's really doing anything meaningful or not. Somehow, this all feels very different than it did the night of August 18, 2020, and it has me rather concerned and worried, as to whether it's doing anything at all.

A comment or two to reassure me would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Nervous and scared sh**less as H*ll

I think (always a dangerous thing), that it will install the Standard version, THEN it will add in your extra planes etc., to bring you up to the Premium version. I am thinking I've read about this happening to someone else.

I also think the reason it says that you own it, is because, technically, you really do. You might not have it installed, however you still own it.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I think (always a dangerous thing), that it will install the Standard version, THEN it will add in your extra planes etc., to bring you up to the Premium version. I am thinking I've read about this happening to someone else.

I also think the reason it says that you own it, is because, technically, you really do. You might not have it installed, however you still own it.

Thank you for the reassurance. From here I have gone to the MSFS main page's FAQ to try to better understand installation. It seems to me it was definitely easier first time around as an initial install, than it is second time as a reinstall.

Hi, sorry you’ve had so much trouble & sorry it’s taken me this long to reply. I’m currently on my lunch break at work (night shift)

When you install MSFS from the store, you always download the standard version (& Digital ownership)

You then launch the sim & after a few moments it’ll ask where you want to install the main part. It brings up a “browse” option so you can choose which drive etc.

When it’s finally done (after maybe 2 of 3 hours?) you go into the sim’s content manager and download everything else. This will put your premium content in. It may take a while.

Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

My goodness, it's already been near 12 hours so far! Of course I may have canceled the DL w/o realizing it, & restarted. But all I see in the screenshot I took was the word "Pending" with the blue circle going around and around. Nothing else. Where's the large splash screen with airplanes on it? You know... something that looks more "flight sim'ish":

MSFS Install Statuses.jpg

And when I hit "Install" on the base flight simulator program, it gives the drive-letter choice you mentioned, but then it goes right back to saying "Install". Not the word "Installing", like I would expect if it were doing so in the present tense, but rather like it implies it's in the future tense and hasn't occurred yet.

I'm just not so sure how long I have to wait for this to actually do something. I'm curious, are things a little more straight forward in the Steam Store, or just as confusingly-uncertain as it is here?

I see in the screenshot, Digital Ownership looks to be pending. You do need to have that installed before actually launching the sim.

How fast is your internet connection? I think most people manage to download it in just a few hours (it’s about 2 hours for me)

I’m home from work now but need to go to bed but keep me updated.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

In case you're curious, I found a workable if not "feeling defeated" solution:

I simply purchased the cheapest version I could get-- the $59.99 version-- on the Steam store, and it took and DL'ed the initial 3gb file right away. The 80.90 gb file started around 2:15am my time, and was done by 9am. I have lost the hand drawn airports that came with the $120 Microsoft Store version I bought last July, but that's the least of my problems at this point. At least I got it to work again... though I am slightly frustrated I had to pay twice to get it to work.

What's more, to upgrade at this point to the deluxe premium version Steam wants to charge me an additional $80 something above and beyond the $60 I've already spent! So I'd have been better off paying $120 again for the D.P. version to begin with, but I wasn't sure it was going to work any better, so I went the cheap route just in case.

I'm actually amazed it worked. I thought Steam had to route itself through the Microsoft Store to do the download, and that I'd wind up in the same place as before.... but it didn't. It was able to download through it's own network.

I'm now also wondering if now that I have a brand new install at 80gb instead of the old MS install at 170-something gb, if the sim will run overall more efficiently or not. This will be interesting. Sorry this had to be the solution, but I was seriously banging my head against the wall trying to get that Gaming Services and Digital Downloads files to work... so the extra money spent I suppose was worth avoiding anymore aggravation than I've already been through.

Edited by b3burner

I too made the mistake of not buying the Premium version. I thought I could upgrade later, and it would be just the difference between the two. HA!!

Sigh :)

Glad you got it working though :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I too made the mistake of not buying the Premium version. I thought I could upgrade later, and it would be just the difference between the two. HA!!

Sigh :)

Glad you got it working though :)

Yeah! Ain't they ever heard of pro-rating?! Nah! I guess not. I would have thought all the airports that didn't make the basic version would have been in the market place, as the missing airports to add on. But they only have the independent airports there that are present in all 3 versions.

I'll just learn to live with torn down and not hand crafted KSFO for the time being. At least KLAX is included as a hand-drawn airport.

You take care.