What Software needed for an HP Reverb G2

Hi Steve, if nVidia drivers 461.09 are working fine then you may want to stick with them... personally I’d give the new ones a try, as you can always put the older ones back in (as long as you don’t have the same problems as last time)

You can get the new ones here...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/172062/

If you do decide to install them... when you launch it... it first unpacks the files.. then “Installation Options” pops up

The options are Express (which is the default option) or “CUSTOM” - this is the one you want.

After selecting custom & pressing Next, you will see several things to install (I wouldn’t bother with GeForce Experience) but the rest are ok.. but at the bottom you will see “Perform a clean installation” ticking this box, removes your old drivers before installing the new ones.

Regards

Steve

Steve, I installed the latest drivers, without a problem this time around! I think the difference was that I did the custom, clean install instead of the express install I did the last time. I restarted the computer after the driver install, and then again just to make sure the PC was running as it should. Then I relaunched MSFS for another spin around the local aerodrome at Watsonville, Calif. to see how it flew. I took off in the Beech Bonanza, in live weather, with a low cloud bank shrouding the field. Circled back and found my way through the low-scudding soup with a roving eye on my airspeed, altitude, and the localizer (dialed in at 108.30), while setting flaps and lowering my landing gear. So much to do, so little time. No sight of the runway until few hundred yards out. I managed to line up and land in excellent form. Taxied to the ramp; cut the throttle; and turned of the electrics, all without a CTD. I hope that's a good sign of things to come. (I'd already had a couple of CTDs this afternoon previous to installing the latest drivers.) Thanks for your help.

Also Steve

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Wow, that is good news Steve.

I hope it is a sign of things to come :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I discovered this morning experimenting with settings If I turn the sim resolution right down to 1024×768 the G2 does not bomb out...

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I discovered this morning experimenting with settings If I turn the sim resolution right down to 1024×768 the G2 does not bomb out...

You might be onto something there. Even though I have three 4K TV’s, I always ran msfs at 1920x1080 and (the pc/monitor resolution) is still set to that, even though I only use the G2 now. I don’t think I’ve ever had any issues with the G2 crashing.

One suggestion you may or may not know about.. turn all the PC graphics settings down to minimum, assuming you only fly in VR of course

This reduces the 1-2 minutes of jerkiness when you first launch VR. You’ll find it’s smooth from the start and you don’t have to sit around on the tarmac, waiting for it to smoothen out.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

I did a clean install of Version 465.89, restarted my computer and still no-go. I'll just stick to V461.72 until I can upgrade my video card to a 3080 or 3090.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Sorry it didn’t work for you Kevin. When the new cards are eventually available (& at normal prices) I’ll probably upgrade mine too. A 3090 would be nice but I’m not paying the crazy prices

Regards

Steve

After reading this thread I updated to Version 465.89 and it works fine with my 1080ti.

With this update I was able to go back to ultra on some of my settings which had been downgraded after the last Asobo update.

I'm still waiting for GPU prices to come down, I thought I would be upgraded by April. This delay has saved me a thousand bucks on a monitor though. I'm going for the G2 (maybe G3 by the time graphics cards come down). I almost bought a big Samsung curved monitor.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Sorry it didn’t work for you Kevin. When the new cards are eventually available (& at normal prices) I’ll probably upgrade mine too. A 3090 would be nice but I’m not paying the crazy prices

Regards

Steve

It seems everyone is seeing quite an improvement in FPS with this new Nvidia Driver Update except me. I don't understand. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I have to use an older version to get smooth graphics in VR. I found a recommendation for a MSFS 2020 setup in the Nvidia Control Panel. I followed these steps, restarted the computer and fired up MSFS. This also diminished the Sim's FPS to unplayable standards. My poor RTX 2080 can't seem to handle this abuse!

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

You might be onto something there. Even though I have three 4K TV’s, I always ran msfs at 1920x1080 and (the pc/monitor resolution) is still set to that, even though I only use the G2 now. I don’t think I’ve ever had any issues with the G2 crashing.

One suggestion you may or may not know about.. turn all the PC graphics settings down to minimum, assuming you only fly in VR of course

This reduces the 1-2 minutes of jerkiness when you first launch VR. You’ll find it’s smooth from the start and you don’t have to sit around on the tarmac, waiting for it to smoothen out.

Regards

Steve

with some more experimenting if I fly medium res the G2 does not bomb out so yes it's not the head set it's the graphics card!... I flew most of the day in VR with the sim set to medium not as crisp as I would like but bearable until I get my hands on another card.... then I'm classing myself insane and handing all finances over to the misses NOT!!

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz