Lots of crashes today--to the desktop

Until today I'd logged some 40 flight hours since I began using MSFS '20 on Jan. 19, with only one CTD. But today, MSFS crashed three-four times (I didn't keep score). At first, I thought it might have something to do with the ICON A5 I test flew for the first time (and landed on, and took off from, a small lake). But it happened with a Cessna 172 and a Beechcraft Bonanza, so nothing to do with the aircraft. Once when it quit, I saw a notification from Steam alleging that the software had been updating. That didn't make sense to me, as it updates when you launch it. Nothing's changed on my PC; I haven't downloaded/installed any add-ons, and other than a Web browser and Norton 360, I don't run any other programs/applications on it. Anybody have any ideas re. why I got a case of multiple CTDs of a sudden?
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Hi Steve, I know you said you haven’t installed anything recently, but do you already have any addon sceneries installed? If so, is it crashing when you fly near / over these areas?

Could be the Bing Maps bug if so.

If this isn’t the case, then I’m not sure.

There was another serious issue yesterday with Microsoft’s gaming services. Many of us were having problems with the sim losing all its settings. Not sure if it was causing CTDs though.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi Steve, I know you said you haven’t installed anything recently, but do you already have any addon sceneries installed?

Thanks. I haven't added anything. Nada.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Same here. No addons, have uninstalled/reinstalled, have plenty of hard drive space, ram yada yada...

Frustrating as hell.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Same here. No addons, have uninstalled/reinstalled, have plenty of hard drive space, ram yada yada...

Frustrating as hell.

Is this recent for you?

Started last week, before then maybe a couple CTD's over 2 months.

So, this would be since the latest update, then?

For what it is worth, I have flown over 100 hours in MSFS without any crashes, until I tried to increase simulation rate to 4x or 8x. Doing that will crash the program in a few minutes on my PC. It may not be your problem, but I suspect, that in this case I need to increase RAM from 16 t0 32Gb.

For what it is worth, I have flown over 100 hours in MSFS without any crashes, until I tried to increase simulation rate to 4x or 8x.

If you mean increasing the sim's frame rates, I haven't tried to change mine. I have it on "high" settings for scenery and whatnot, and the frame limit is 60 fps. Maybe I should lower it? I'd had only a couple CTDs prior to yesterday--once on approach to Monterey and once parking at San Jose. I'm wondering if something in the most recent update from Asobo might be causing my program to crash more frequently now.

What are your settings? What aircraft are you flying? Where are you flying? All this has to do with performance related to YOUR machine. How many ghz is your processor? How many cores? I'd hate to say it, but you may have to turn down some settings on your machine that you're running MSFS on or may have to upgrade altogether to run it. Did it happen on P3D or any prior sims? If no, I suggest an upgrade
Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

How many ghz is your processor? How many cores? I'd hate to say it, but you may have to turn down some settings on your machine that you're running MSFS on or may have to upgrade altogether to run it. Did it happen on P3D or any prior sims? If no, I suggest an upgrade

I have the Intel i7-10700 processor, running at 2.90 GHz with eight cores and 16 threads, 32 Gb RAM; Nvidia 3070 GPU with 8 Gb VRAM. It was running very smoothly, with only a couple of CTDs since I started running MSFS the third week in January. I have no other games on this computer. I got it specifically for MSFS. I thought about ordering it with the i9 processor, which I could have done, but the price seemed excessive. The CTDs I've had don't seem specific to any particular plane. They've happened with the ICON A5, the Beech Bonanza, and the Cessna 172. I will take another look at my MSFS settings.

Try two things.

1 Set vsync to 30

2 Lower your ground traffic.

vsync setting is either on or off, but I reduced my maximum frame rate from 60 to 30 fps, reduced ground traffic to less than 50 percent, and set everything else on medium. Then I flew for nearly an hour (Watsonville/Monterey/Salinas/Watsonville) without a hitch--with no serious loss of discernable-to-me detail. Thanks!

If you mean increasing the sim's frame rates, I haven't tried to change mine. I have it on "high" settings for scenery and whatnot, and the frame limit is 60 fps. Maybe I should lower it? I'd had only a couple CTDs prior to yesterday--once on approach to Monterey and once parking at San Jose. I'm wondering if something in the most recent update from Asobo might be causing my program to crash more frequently now.

No - I was not talking about frame rates, but rather overall simulation speed, i.e. cutting flight time. You can use it to reduce flight time on long distance flights by a factor of 2, 4, 8, or 16, but it apparently puts enormous stress on the system. Anyway, that is not your problem.

No - I was not talking about frame rates, but rather overall simulation speed, i.e. cutting flight time. You can use it to reduce flight time on long distance flights by a factor of 2, 4, 8, or 16, but it apparently puts enormous stress on the system. Anyway, that is not your problem.

I got confused between "vsync," which I have yet to use, and G-sync, a process associated with my Nvidia graphics card that prevents "screen tearing" or some such issue on my monitor. At any rate, I reduced my maximum frame rate setting from 60 to 30 fps yesterday morning and flew for nearly an hour in one session without a CTD. I returned to the sim later in the afternoon, took off from our local airport and circled over our neighborhood in the slowest plane in my "hangar" trying to spot our house. I couldn't; too many trees. I will have to resort to entering our longitude/latitude info into the search box in the world screen and setting an arrival or departure from that location. Nevertheless, I circled, then flew up the coast toward Watsonville again, landing at a grass airstrip at a private school on a bluff above the beach. No CTD that time either.

Thanks for your help.

Third party addons are usually the problem. Remove some of the recent addons and see if the crashes continue. I have found the scenery addons can crash the system when you are flying it the scenery area. Just a thought, good luck.
Windows 11, Intel i9-9900K, 32GB DDR4/3000 MHz, GeForce RTX 2070, 1TB M.2 Drive dedicated to Flight Sim

Third party addons are usually the problem. Remove some of the recent addons and see if the crashes continue. I have found the scenery addons can crash the system when you are flying it the scenery area. Just a thought, good luck.

Thanks. I haven't added anything, though I would like to have an ultralight. I think I've resolved my problem by reducing my maximum frame-rate setting from 60 to 30 fps. I had been humming along at max 60 fps with only a couple of CTDs for about a month before the sim started crashing more frequently. The only thing that changed in my software in that interval was Asobo's latest "World" update. I'm curious re. whether other folks have experienced more CTDs since then.

I am getting constant CTD when I attempt to create a manual cache which consists of low res areas and high res areas.

I watched a YouTube video on how to create a manual cache and the author set up a manual cache of the island of Jamaica which also included lores of the entire island and many many areas of high res and he didn't encounter the dreaded CTD yet the island is about the same area that I am trying to create a manual cache for. The only difference is that he did his just after FS2020 was released before any updates. Could it be the updates have introduced a bug?

I just wished there was a log to look at to try and see where the crash occurs. Very annoying Asobo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Since the latest update, i have also had multiple crashes. Basically a start a flight and it crashes within 30 minutes; buzzing noise and freezes. Then i restart and there are no issues. It may have something to do with the map im running in a browser; i see things slow down when i start to use it.

I sure hope future updates or hotfixes help. I'm running on "high end", lowered my framerate to 30, turned vsync off, ran it without programs in the background, and it still crashes around 30 minutes.

I went back to try and play FSX since I love some of the payware addons, but the scenery is so empty and fake in comparison. Frustrating right now, and I've started playing other games in retaliation.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

I haven't experienced any CTD flying but usually my flights are only fly for 30-40 minutes. Hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that :confused: I get CTD regularly trying to create manual caches which results in this 'feature' not really working for me.

If I start getting CTD during flights I will consider going back to X-Plane.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Same problem today. Haven't had a MSFS 2020 crash since I installed several months ago. It was working perfectly when I last flew several days ago. Computer is dedicated to MSF. No new installs, except when I started the program up today. It was a MSF Upgrade, but that appeared to go smoothly. Program seemed fine until I opened Landing Challenges and it began loading the lead-in prior to "Fly Now". Was extremely slow compared to normal. When I clicked on Fly Now the plane was updated about once every 3 seconds.. Have been flying with smooth fluid video images and No Lag what so ever, up to now. Tried disabling Norton 360, but no effect. My computer experience covers a lot of years, and my instincts tell me the problem came with the MFS upgrade when I opened the program.
AMD Ryzen-7, 4800H, 4th Gen Radeon Graphics 2.90 - 32GB DDR4 - 512GB SSD Boot, 1TB HD, 1TB SSD - NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 6GB - ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Dedicated Gaming Laptop - Windows 10 Home - 55" Samsung 1920 x 1080 - MSFS Settings on High and Many on Ultra, with no jitter or lag. HOTAS Control - Std Logitech X52.