Is this hardware description sensible?

Some of you put your computer specs into your sigs, which seems like a good idea. I am not tech savvy so as best as I can tell these are the relevant specs I have, taken from the Dell company invoice I have. Can any of you tell me whether it lacks any important details, or contains any dumb ones that I should edit out?

10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core, 16MB Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz w/Turbo Boost Max 3.0), NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6 1 EA, 370-AELS 32GB Dual Channel HyperX(FM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz 1 EA 398.46 398.46, 400-BHPT 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD 1 EA, 555-BFPT Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2), Windows 10.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Nice machine you have there. I don't personally do it, but I'm lazy. I'd go for this:

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.

I don't see the PSU specs or monitor resolution, which may also be useful.

But, unless I missed something, the rest is probably unnecessary detail that doesn't serve any purpose of what the signature is meant to convey.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Nice machine you have there. I don't personally do it, but I'm lazy. I'd go for this:

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.

I don't see the PSU specs or monitor resolution, which may also be useful.

But, unless I missed something, the rest is probably unnecessary detail that doesn't serve any purpose of what the signature is meant to convey.

Appreciate this. I don't actually know what PSU specs are--what should I look up? I do have monitor specs so I'll dig those up.

And glad to hear you're impressed. I'd waffled on making an investment for a new PC for literally months solely for MSFS, and finally struck a budget deal with the wife to make it happen. :)

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

The problem for preconfigured machines and Dell, is they tend to cut corners on power supply and case and cooling. You will note a few threads down, a fellow is now in a bind, because the weak Dell power supply won't allow him many options in upgrading his video card. This program also creates a constant power demand, so cooling becomes an important issue. Most games and software have fluctuating power demand, which will enable lower quality cooling to work fine. This program is working hard constantly, so effective cooling is important. I don't recognize any cooling devices, they may have a proprietary cooler, but I suspect they just use the stock fans in the case and processor.

The nice thing about a custom builder, is you can get better cooling and power supplies, for little more than the prefab machines. Some are more expensive, but there are quality builders that are very competitive.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

The problem for preconfigured machines and Dell, is they tend to cut corners on power supply and case and cooling. You will note a few threads down, a fellow is now in a bind, because the weak Dell power supply won't allow him many options in upgrading his video card. This program also creates a constant power demand, so cooling becomes an important issue. Most games and software have fluctuating power demand, which will enable lower quality cooling to work fine. This program is working hard constantly, so effective cooling is important. I don't recognize any cooling devices, they may have a proprietary cooler, but I suspect they just use the stock fans in the case and processor.

The nice thing about a custom builder, is you can get better cooling and power supplies, for little more than the prefab machines. Some are more expensive, but there are quality builders that are very competitive.

I've wondered about this. All I can tell you is what seems to be a reference to cooling in my invoice:

"321-BFSC Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power."

With time I'd be interested in upgrading this if necessary, so I hope it's not an insurmountable problem. The reason people like me purchase pre-built Dell devices is that we just don't have any know-how at all, and don't know people who do. We're paying for the convenience of not being totally lost and confused, really, so yeah there is a trade off.

The liquid cooling is helpful. It does not specify a device so it may be a smaller radiator?? The 1000 watt power supply is plenty for your system specs. It may or may not be a quality PSU, and it is likely not a platinum or titanium rated unit, meaning it will not be as efficient as some others. Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

The liquid cooling is helpful. It does not specify a device so it may be a smaller radiator?? The 1000 watt power supply is plenty for your system specs. It may or may not be a quality PSU, and it is likely not a platinum or titanium rated unit, meaning it will not be as efficient as some others.

The description on Dell's website says this. No comment by me on whether it's persuasive or not, but just passing it along:

"Extensive cooling: Our new thermal design includes quad 10mm copper heat pipes with integrated vapor chambers – our largest diameter heat pipe design to date – designed for exceptional gaming performance.

Innovative airflow: Another added boost for graphics performance is made possible by a dual-axial fan design with positive rear pressure relief – a new Alienware first for graphics cards. The positive rear pressure relief allows heat to escape from specially located vents designed to aid with flow and thermal management. This new approach is built with gamers in mind."

The description on Dell's website says this. No comment by me on whether it's persuasive or not, but just passing it along:

"Extensive cooling: Our new thermal design includes quad 10mm copper heat pipes with integrated vapor chambers – our largest diameter heat pipe design to date – designed for exceptional gaming performance.

Innovative airflow: Another added boost for graphics performance is made possible by a dual-axial fan design with positive rear pressure relief – a new Alienware first for graphics cards. The positive rear pressure relief allows heat to escape from specially located vents designed to aid with flow and thermal management. This new approach is built with gamers in mind."

neuilands you don't need to pay any attention to the marketing hype. I have essentially the same CPU as you, and I used an EVO cooler which is complete simplicity and it does the job just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Direct-Contact/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=cpu+heatsink&qid=1612152977&s=electronics&sr=1-12

You're water cooling is even overkill unless you wanted to become a geek and overclock your CPU, which would be pointless.

If the day ever comes that you need more CPU throughput, which would be years down the road, you'll be able to just plug Intel's newest and fastest CPU into you're current motherboard. Your 10700KF uses a LGA 1200 socket which is Intel's newest, and Intel will be using that same socket probably for the next five years, so I think you're set for the decade; your 3070 will handle 4K video or a VR headset and in a few years, if you want to get the newest and latest, the 3070 will still be worth good money on E-bay.

Your rig is fine.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Personally, I would not purchase a Dell PC for a gaming rig for various reasons, mainly for what was stated above: They tend to skimp on some of the hardware requirements - However, they bought the company that makes Alienware several years back, and that's a much better gaming rig, although somewhat pricey (plus they feature the coolest looking cases around).

Their price and propitiatory BIOS are the only objections I have with them.

There's a whole lot of hype in the computer marketplace IMO.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.