Volpar

maceyman

Hi all, can anyone assist me with the Beech Volpar`s nosewheel travel in FS2004. There is an excessive amount of travel during braking with almost loss of sight of the runway center-line. Is there anyway that this can be adjusted thereby reducing the amount of travel (compression)?

You have to edit the aircraft.cfg file. In that file is a section called contact points. Read about that here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/microsoft-esp/cc526949(v=msdn.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN#contact_points

It may be the ratio of maximum compression to static compression.

The aircraft.cfg file is in the plane's folder. You can rename the .cfg part to a .txt to edit, then rename back to .cfg. You may have to go to the Control Panel | Folder Options and allow to show file extensions. Or to make life simpler just install Notepad ++, right click the aircraft.cfg file and edit. Make sure to save after you make your edit.

Now you'll have to fire up the Sim and test. It will be a process of trial and error. So in order to launch the Sim as fast as possible, if you have a lot of aircraft installed go into your FS2004 folder and copy/paste your Aircraft folder to the desktop. Now in your FS2004 folder go into the Aircraft folder and delete all the aircraft folders except the plane you're working on. Don't delete the non-aircraft folders like the cfg or htm files. Leave those there. Once you found the right compression ratio that works, copy/paste the Whole of the Aircraft folder back to your FS2004 folder.

If you have lots of planes, the reason why you want to temporally get rid of the planes inside the Aircraft folder is because when the Sim starts it is the planes that take the longest to load. So if you're having to load and reload the Sim constantly you may want to do this so the Sim can launch faster.

If you have under 50 aircraft installed then I wouldn't bother. For me I have exactly 445 installed so it takes at least a minute and a half to load the Sim. A good majority of these are just AI.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Thanks very much for that info. I downloaded the microsoft info and made the adjustment. In contacts it turned out to be point 9 - static compression. I altered the value from .462 to 0.12. Aircraft now perfect.

Thanks CRJ, much appreciated.

Hi,

... because when the Sim starts it is the planes that take the longest to load. So if you're having to load and reload the Sim constantly you may want to do this so the Sim can launch faster.

To try out new contact point settings (or other aircraft.cfg changes) you don't need to restart the whole sim... I have FS9 running, Alt-Tab to the aircraft.cfg, make my change, save the .cfg, Alt-Tab back and then just reload the aircraft, sometimes using another livery, but that's not necessary.

If you're editing AFCADs or scenery you do need to restart FS9.

Here's a guide to correctly setting up contact points, reply #5:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/14301-Contact-Points-Tutorial

Regards,

DDP.

Edited by DirkDP

Hi,

To try out new contact point settings (or other aircraft.cfg changes) you don't need to restart the whole sim... I have FS9 running, Alt-Tab to the aircraft.cfg, make my change, save the .cfg, Alt-Tab back and then just reload the aircraft, sometimes using another livery, but that's not necessary.

If you're editing AFCADs or scenery you do need to restart FS9.

Here's a guide to correctly setting up contact points, reply #5:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/14301-Contact-Points-Tutorial

Regards,

DDP.

Oh yeah, that'll re-read the cfg for sure. I've been editing airports more than planes so I totally forgot about that.

Thanks very much for that info. I downloaded the microsoft info and made the adjustment. In contacts it turned out to be point 9 - static compression. I altered the value from .462 to 0.12. Aircraft now perfect.

Thanks CRJ, much appreciated.

No problem.