Creating Camera Views

miatamariner

Having just purchased UTL2 for AI, I have a new interest in watching AI operations. Using the Nearest Tower view Zoom function, I can get a nice view of an airport's runway layout depending on where I place my selected aircraft. I would like to create additional Nearest Tower View camera's that I could position either left or right of the default Nearest Tower Camera view. Does FSX limit the number of default camera views? If not, could I simply create a new view giving it a new title such as Nearest Tower 1,2 etc? In FS9, there was a program called Mobile Control Tower but I can not find anything similar for FSX. Does anyone know of a similar program for FSX?

Thanks

I love FSX cameras

I love camera questions...

FSX has a built-in Tower or you can make your own

or you can buy software to help you

1. does FSX limit the number... Not to my knowledge but, if so, it would like 128, 512, or 1024 - that powers-of-two thing that compters love

It really doesn't matter as you will see shortly.

2. could you create new tower views. Yes, easily and movable if you'd like.

3. is there a utility for making this stuff? Yes. It's a full-featured utility and payware: Chaseplane.

Can you do the basice stuff you asked about for free inside FSX? YES

You can make the tower view completely movable, and you can take control of the viewing direction and pan around.

There is also a camera called a scenery camera; they didn't make any default ones so you don't see them in action but they are easy to make.

If I can be forgiven for shamelessly promoting a couple of my own FSX videos, you can see the power of scenery cameras in these two videos:

Machynlleth:

and a flight in Zion National Park

You can place a scenery camera anywhere by simply adjusting the Lat/Lon and elevation (in meters) to suit your needs.

There are 5 or 6 scenery cameras placed along the route in these videos to follow the aircraft exactly like a flyby camera except that they don't move.

-by this I mean they are locked to my aircraft here but that they could have been free to pan.

A scenery camera definition can be added manually to either an aircraft.cfg or a flightplan.

If I want a particular location frequently I'd place the camera in a flightplan.

If I want to change camera location as I fly I'd place the camera in an Aircraft.cfg and change it as I fly about.

This is what one of my panning scenery camera definitions looks like:

//===================== Scenery camera ===================

// Fixed location camera at EGQK Kinloss, Scotland

[CameraDefinition.004]

Title = Fixed Camera 1

Guid = {835BFC1C-1A03-994A-A176-49318FEB094E} // a unique GUID (unique in a single config file)

Description = Fixed location EGQK

Origin = Fixed

InstancedBased = No

Category = scenery

Track = None // use this to pan around freely with joystick tophat or 'mouse look'

//Track = Track // use this to lock onto user aircraft

SnapPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

PitchPanRate=30 // your choice (degrees per sec)

HeadingPanRate=45 // your choice (degrees per sec)

PanAcceleratorTime=0

AllowZoom = Yes

InitialZoom = 2.0

ZoomPanScalar = 1.0

SmoothZoomTime = 0

XyzAdjust = TRUE // you can move the camera using 'virtual cockpit' camera controls

XyzRate = 50 // meters/second movement (adjustable)

Transition = Yes

FixedLatitude=N57.640150

FixedLongitude=W3.550868

FixedAltitude=100 // meters

InitialPbh=0.0, 0, 315

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

ShowAxis = No

ShowWeather = Yes

explanations

Guid = {835BFC1C-1A03-994A-A176-49318FEB094E}

a GUID: camera id number that is unique in a single config file

a guid number can be created online at https://www.guidgenerator.com/online-guid-generator.aspx (tick on Uppercase, braces, hyphens)

Track= option "none"allows free panning for AI or 'track' to lock on to your aircraft

pan speeds controls are adjusted to your taste

Fixed coordinates determine camera position

XYZrate and XYZadjust control movement permission and speed -- 50m/sec is relatively fast

Initial Pbh is pitch,bank, and heading orientation. 315 in this case is the direction to the fuel station where I was parked but you can point it anywhere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand If you want to watch from inside an FSX tower

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinloss Tower2.jpg

the procedure below creates an internal tower view that you control just like a cockpit 3d camera and positioned at the airport's defined tower location.

from the menu on the left - go to Multiplayer

Select Local Network ( you can leave the 'player' as it is )

click [sign In]

select "Host a session" (on bottom right)

no changes to next page, just click NEXT

-see a window that looks like the 'create a flight' window

choose session: select air traffic controller

select airport (EGQK as example), weather and time (your 'aircraft' is the tower)

** MAGIC: if you want to SAVE this location, save it NOW with the (save) button.

click NEXT

click NEXT

you should be in the Briefing Room at this point

click [FLY NOW].

see self at selected airport inside tower.

-pan around/move around (this is your 3D cockit)

-your shift + number keys (1-6)give you radios and radar and other utilities

If you saved this "flight" it will be available same as a regular flight; you can save multiple locations or multiple versions of the same site at differing times of day.

enjoy

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Hello Loyd:

With 749 views and no responses, I was beginning to think my quest for info was an exercise in frustration, but then you came along! Wow! You have provided me with a wealth of info and expertise for me to digest and absorb and also gives rise to more questions, but by your enthusiasm for FS camera operations, I think I've found a source for good answers. Thank you for your in depth response.

First thing I will do is to watch the two video's you referenced to give me a better reference point for understanding what you have given me ro ponder. I'll be back after that with I'm sure more questions. Again, thanks for your in depth response. Much appreciated.

Chris

OK Loyd, incredible amazing video's. First, some questions about the Machynlleth video before we get to the mechanics of the camera's.

1. Did you use the program "Chaseplane" to create this video? Also, did you use a Multiplayer option to get two planes in the video at the same time? And also the three aircraft at the end of the video. IIRC, did I see an A400M, two Jaguar's and an F-18? I suspect that you used "Chaseplane" to accomplish this, but at this point, I'm just guessing.

2. Apart from the camera's used, I loved the topography of the land and the textures. Were the textures and mesh FSX default or from another program? What is the closest airport to this section of Wales so I can try it myself?

3. Did you create the scenery camera's or were some shots captured using the FSX Fly By camera?

Thanks

Chris

Edited by miatamariner

Machynlleth: a labor of LOVE...

[1] I do not have or use Chaseplane; instead I used the technique common to FSRecorder

the flight recordings were made using JoinFS software's recording feature

a) I flew and saved a 'record' of the first (front) aircraft

b) I replayed the front a/c recording while recording the following A/C and the front one together.

c) Then played back the pair while 'filming' the pair with OBS and managing the cameras.

Aircraft: opening - two Tornados, F15's from Lakenheath, Harriers, A-400, Eurofighters, a second set with exits; finale is the A-400 flying in front of the Harriers.

[2]FreeMeshX, Orbx Base and Trees. Nearest airport EGOD (Llanbedr) in Wales

[3] I believe all cameras (6 or 7) were scenery cameras in 'track' mode

Image showing EGOD and camera locations on Plan-G map.

machynlleth.jpg

regards

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

You'd think I'd know better by now, but I guess not. I have been experimenting with camera views and desired to return to the OEM configuration for Nearest Tower and Facilities camera's. Only problem, I never made a backup. Could someone kindly provide me with the OEM camera config file so I can get back to the basics. I promise to keep it in a safe place! This is for FSX.

Thanks

Update:

Disregard request. I found what I was asking for.

Edited by miatamariner

Great info !......... When I am doing Biz Paperwork aka not flying i enjoy loading up this Control tower from Rikoo and placing the view in the path of a storm and watch it roll in.

https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/8/5

FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.