Purpose of 2 runway / taxiway detail bmp?

JSMR

I've been using these in FSX and P3D for years resized to 256 px.

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=174643&Name=&FileName=&Author=&CatID=root

I don't know if this applies to FS9 but I think it probably does, from the readme:

NOTE: "runway_detail.bmp" is detail texture for tarmac runways, and "runway_detail02.bmp" is for asphalt runways.

EDIT: Oops I lied, been using them at 512px not 256

Edited by Jim Robinson

I also use that one. I just keep it at the 1024 size. Lazy to resize it.

I think though FSX behaves differently as the detail and detail02 affect the asphalt and concrete runways. So you can have an asphalt detail and a concrete detail bmp to alter their appearance.

But FS9 doesn’t seem to operate the same way with the two seperate detail bmps both for runways and taxiways.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me.

FSX/P3D also have the taxiway_detail and taxiway_detail02 textures. I wish I could remember what I did but I know I copied the runway_detail textures from that download to taxiway_detail textures so I could use them for both. I think I renamed taxiway_detail to taxiway_detail02 (and vice versa obviously) which seemed more appropriate for the given runway/taxiway textures IIRC. I may have done the same for the runway_details, can't remember. I didn't try any of this in FS9 at all so I can't say. I thought the detail textures were a little over the top at 1024px TBH, resizing them to 512 toned them down a bit.

Now I see that REX has apparently installed a runway_detail.dds which of course didn't overwrite the .bmp, I'm not actually sure which texture the sim is using (and don't care enough to figure it out), lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Just going back to this, the runway / taxiway detail seems to work differently in FSX as FS9.

Hence using the texture package above for concrete / asphalt surfaces works in FSX using one for each. Detail and detail02 is using for those surfaces. ex use concrete runway_detail.bmp for the RWY11 concrete runways and and asphalt runway_detail02 for the asphalt RWY12 runways.

But FS9 seems to work differently. Using a concrete style bmp for runway_detail and an asphalt style bmp for runway_detail02 doesn't have the same effect.

Both runways will have whatever is the first runway_detail. Which makes runway_detail02 pointless.

Likewise for the taxiway surfaces with taxiway_detail / _detail02. Only the first _detail.bmp is showing.

Hence the confusion, what's the runway/taxiway_detail02 used for in FS9? Seems to be a pointless bmp file.

The kinda thing to drive a man to drink. And drink I do...