Program Startup Time vs Addons

Has anyone noticed if there is a significant increase in MSFS startup time as addon items are added to the Community folder?

I recently added 6 items (4 scenery, 2 a/c repaints), and the next time I started the sim, it initially displayed a black screen for about 4 minutes before getting to the Asobo screen, then sat on the copyrights screen for another 3 minutes or so, before finally completing the startup normally.

I assumed this was normal the first time, figuring the sim had to "index" all the new files, but it has behaved this way ever since.

I don't have that much in my Community folder, considering what is available. Is there anyone out there with a lot of addons installed? Does it affect your startup time?

Thanks for any feedback!

i7-7700K 4.20GHz

MSI Z-270A Pro Series MB

32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8Gb

WDC WDS240G1G01 240Gb SSD

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1Tb HDD

Seagate OneTouch 1Tb SSD

Seagate BUP 5Tb HDD

2 LG 4k 32" displays

Microsoft X05-63895 Sidewinder joystick

Logitech M325 mouse

Costco 14993BLK4E XL series folding chair

ACCO Model 40 stapler

Rubbermaid MFG295600 plastic rubbish bin

It doesn’t sound normal to me. I have a lot more downloads in my community folder & I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference. The screen certainly doesn’t go black.

If you remove the addons does it go back to normal?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

By "black screen" I meant the brief black screen that normally appears just before the "X Box Studios" screen comes up. This was dragging on for several minutes for me, but things would eventually come up normally.

Anyway, I did delete those recent addons from the Community folder and things did indeed go back to normal. I'm putting them back one at a time to see which one is the culprit.

Thanks for your feedback!

i7-7700K 4.20GHz

MSI Z-270A Pro Series MB

32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8Gb

WDC WDS240G1G01 240Gb SSD

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1Tb HDD

Seagate OneTouch 1Tb SSD

Seagate BUP 5Tb HDD

2 LG 4k 32" displays

Microsoft X05-63895 Sidewinder joystick

Logitech M325 mouse

Costco 14993BLK4E XL series folding chair

ACCO Model 40 stapler

Rubbermaid MFG295600 plastic rubbish bin

I noticed this lengthening of startup time early on as I started collecting "nice to have" addons. There are a couple of third party programmes around, I use MSFS Addon Linker which is very simple and effective, which manage which addons are loaded into the sim at startup. They have to be run before starting MSFS as once loaded they cannot be changed. You can pick and choose what you want to use in your next session and Addon Linker also lets you choose presets so you can save your selection or use a different preset for something else. Works for all addons, not just airports/scenery.

I've experimented a bit, found with no addons the sim loaded to the Welcome screen in around 1m 35s whereas with everything in I gave up waiting after 20 mins and manually shut it down through Task Manager - there doesn't seem any way to abort loading once it starts.