Apparently I'm back...

Kurtvw

Hi all, its been 10 years or so since I hung out here regularly, mostly because after the disbanding of the ACES studio and no further development on MSFS, I rather moved on to other things. Never could get myself into brand X's product, so just kinda put all my stuff in the closet and walked away.

But, I've missed simming the whole time and am looking foward to getting back to it now that we've hopefully got a worthy successor.

Honestly don't know if any of you remember me at all (Only counting the ones who remember me in GOOD ways)... But I certainly see some of the same names are still here, so thats cool. Looking forward to participating again.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome back! Oh, and don't mind the naysayers on FS2020 - to me it is the most incredible simulator ever created, and even though it is in its infancy, it has plenty of room to grow. You'll LOVE IT!
Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

Welcome back!! I live in a third world country (rural Central Kentucky), have no reliable internet, so can't really enjoy all the new sim stuff. But in case you have glitches, despair not! FSX is still a lot of fun and I can fly it off line. Just have to look out the window and set the weather engine (sort of like real life meterologists do).

Thank you!

You don't need a constant on connection to use the new one, but the initial download is pretty beastly, and of course good internet makes everything better... Not required tho.

Right now its got a couple of enormous bugs, so I'm still sidelined until the patch drops this week. It's very convincing when it's working, however.

Guest Rockcliffe2

Well, it seems I am too. It's been so long I had to create a "version 2" of my handle, since I can't access my old email account to recover the password.

I started simming in 2001 with FS8 and gradually drifted away after ACES shut down and for lack of time. I dabbled a bit in FSX Steam, then found myself downloading MSFS2020 about five minutes after it went live.

I'm pretty impressed so far, notwithstanding all the frustrating glitches and bugs.

So far, I've spent nearly all my time in the C152

I've been away almost 8 years. Mostly because I could never get FSX to work after I installed Windows 10. Tried the Steam Version about 5 years ago , but my system would crash after about an hours flight. When I heard MSFS was going to be released. I built me a Ryzen 7 desktop with all the bells and whistles. I started simming in 1985 with my Commodore 64, Upgraded to Amiga in 1989, then to PC with ATP and FS4 in 92. Went through all versions since. 2020 version is great. Obviously some bugs to work out. Looking forward to 3rd party aircraft to come out. Its great to be back in the Virtual Cockpit again.

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X-570+ MB w/Ryzen 7 3800X 8-core

MSI Radeon RX 5700 DirectX 12 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express

48 GB Ram, M.2 SSD (1 TB X 2)

Cooler Master MasterBox MB530P ATX Mid-Tower

Never could get myself into brand X's product, so just kinda put all my stuff in the closet and walked away.

LOL - same with me. I did use FSX for a while which only really survived because of the AMAZING add-ons that came out for it (£500 later---yikes).

But I was always so annoyed with the performance and lack of support for multi-threading. I tried X-Plane several times but found it to be quite limited on a number of fronts although I acknowledge that it's flight model was definitely a step up.

Eventually, my rig crashed hard and I just didn't feel motivated to replace it. MFS caught my attention on graphics but I also paid closed attention to the developer videos and the flight model episode convinced me that it was time to get a new PC.

So glad I did - the new sim is incredible. Yes, there are a few cobwebs and creaks to sort out (such as the ability to fly from Keflavik in Iceland) but they'll get there. Also - the base airplanes on the prop side of things are fantastic! The Garmin-equipped planes are especially impressive.