I've always heard that Microsoft Flightsim (all versions) are more compatible with an Intel CPU. I ran FS2004 on an AMD and FsX on an Intel, and both seemed to work fine. The time has come to build a new desktop though and since I will be getting FS2020 shortly after that, I figured I'd ask if it still mattered or if it even ever did. I'm leaning toward AMD more for the bang for the buck reasons but would be able to go with Intel if it really made a difference.

I've looked around for a definitive answer but haven't had any success, and found mostly posts from 2002 or that era, so I'll keep looking while eagerly awaiting the flame storm I've probably ignited.

Edited by Hossfly68

Well, really it comes down to personal preference. If you want the absolute fastest chip, get the 10th gen Intel as it is faster. However the technology in Ryzen is better, while not quite as fast. There is also PCIe 4.0 with Ryzen while Intel has just refined its technology without any serious improvements, only clock speed.

If I were you I would go AMD. You get more for your money and the tech is the best you can get right now. I have an all AMD rig and am glad I bought the parts I did.

That's what I was thinking. I had pretty much settled on the 7 3700 until I started reading more stuff about it yesterday. I'm also pretty sure that this next computer better last a good long time (or be easily upgraded every year or two) in order not to get in trouble with the Chief Financial Officer. God knows she lets me get away with having model planes all over the place and the three month long rebuild of my Jeep!

As it is, I'll be waiting at least until the Big Navi and the RTX 3080 come out to see if I can work one of those into the budget. I'm planning on Nvidia GPU and thought I might just get a 2080 Super and call it good. That'd be easily upgraded later.

The wife is a college teacher and has been teaching from home since March. She actually decided to upgrade our internet speed and has agreed to letting me rewire the house to have cables in several rooms so we don't have to rely on wifi for her Zoom meetings (and my online flying when the new puter gets built).

That's what I was thinking. I had pretty much settled on the 7 3700 until I started reading more stuff about it yesterday. I'm also pretty sure that this next computer better last a good long time (or be easily upgraded every year or two) in order not to get in trouble with the Chief Financial Officer. God knows she lets me get away with having model planes all over the place and the three month long rebuild of my Jeep!

As it is, I'll be waiting at least until the Big Navi and the RTX 3080 come out to see if I can work one of those into the budget. I'm planning on Nvidia GPU and thought I might just get a 2080 Super and call it good. That'd be easily upgraded later.

The wife is a college teacher and has been teaching from home since March. She actually decided to upgrade our internet speed and has agreed to letting me rewire the house to have cables in several rooms so we don't have to rely on wifi for her Zoom meetings (and my online flying when the new puter gets built).

Well, really it comes down to personal preference. If you want the absolute fastest chip, get the 10th gen Intel as it is faster. However the technology in Ryzen is better, while not quite as fast. There is also PCIe 4.0 with Ryzen while Intel has just refined its technology without any serious improvements, only clock speed.

If I were you I would go AMD. You get more for your money and the tech is the best you can get right now. I have an all AMD rig and am glad I bought the parts I did.

+1

Watch this video.

The Intel processors had about a 25% advantage on the iteration tested (pre-release). If you plan to run 4K it was particularly advantageous to have Intel.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

With FS2004 or FSX and probably the other Sims of their day, they were all single threaded coded and thus Intel would have better single thread computing ability over an AMD of the day. Today's new Sim, call it FS2020 or simply Flight Simulator will take advantage of multiple threads and cores. And right now, Ryzen is the go-to CPU for the best bang for your buck compared to Intel. The Ryzen 7 3700X is what I'm eyeing on for an upgrade. Though, by the time I do plan for the upgrade a new AMD CPU will come out.

I'd go Nvidia. I head of some shenanigans with updates or something with the AMD GPUs. I can't remember what it was.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot
computing

I don't know if you noticed, but the video above, tested the new sim, not FSX or FS2004. Intel processors had about 25% advantage on the test. It was obviously a pre-release version, and AMD may get more specific optimization before the final release, but based on the knowledge to date, AMD isn't more bang for the buck, it does not perform as well even with multi-threaded utilization.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Thanks for that comment! I just pushed the button on a new rig for XX with AMD 3700x and a RTX 2080ti and two SSD since my internet speed will be my bottleneck.