return to fsx

teamo

I've been away from FSX for a number of years. I'm going to get back to it now. My old system that I built when I was running fsx is an i7 950 with 6 GB of RAM and a GTX 470 card. I'm not going to do a new build right now but I would like to do a small upgrade perhaps on the RAM. My Asus board has 6 memory slots and will accept up to 24 GB of RAM. Should I increase the RAM? Get a new SSD dedicated to fsx? A new video card? Upgrade to windows 10? All of the above? After the upgrade I will do a clean install of windows, fsx, and any of my addons that I plan to run.
i7 950 oc's @ 4.2 ghz Asus 1366 MB 3x2 GB Mushkin 6 8 6 24 (2) 1 TB 7200 rpm HD's Win 7 64 bit FEX, GEX, UTX, Ultimate Traffic 2, Radar Contact, FS Global Ultimate The America's, Europe, & Africa

Don't really need to upgrade anything but the hard drive. I'd get a 500 GB SSD for FSX. Install FSX to the root of C drive, not the programs folder. May want to get a 1 to 2 TB platter for spill over.

While the GPU and CPU are not really fast as they are now, it will suffice. You don't need more RAM than what you have for FSX unless you plan on playing more modern games. And if you do you'll want a better GPU.

The i7 950 max turbo is 3.33 ghz. How are you able to get 4.2 ghz without frying it? What brand of cooling do you use? Is it 100% stable? I want to oc my i7 2600k. I get 30 fps in FSX on modest settings but only because I tweaked the fsx cfg. I use Win 7 Pro 64 bit and am NOT going Win10!! Not buying a new PC either. Or getting FS 2020 (XBox).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I'm running the CPU back at the stock settings for now. I'll have to go back and look at my previous tweaks. I have a good CPU cooler on there but I haven't looked at it for several years. I'll have to see which one I installed. I have since built several computers for the kids but I haven't done anything to mine since the i7 was a brand new chip.
i7 950 oc's @ 4.2 ghz Asus 1366 MB 3x2 GB Mushkin 6 8 6 24 (2) 1 TB 7200 rpm HD's Win 7 64 bit FEX, GEX, UTX, Ultimate Traffic 2, Radar Contact, FS Global Ultimate The America's, Europe, & Africa