Installing on Windows 10

I have just done some upgrades to the computer that included upgrading my Win 7 to Win 10.

I am about to install Box version of FSX Gold and may have a few questions if I hit any snags. I am not looking for the "go back to Win 7" advice.

Previously I had FSX installed in the default location (for many years without problems) but intend to do the new install to C:\FSX for starters.

Sim will be installed on the SDD (512g) I intend to move all or as much of the data to the D: drive. I am hoping for some assistance if things don't go as smoothly as I hope.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Hal

Edited by PEIRascal
Spelling correction
Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

I hope this is not TOO MUCH...

New Install via Disk on Win 10.

generic advice:

Take your time. Installing FSX is building the base for long-term enjoyment - not a race.

Write stuff down - memory is frail.

Make backups.

Be extra careful when you feel like rushing. No messing around when you're tired - just don't!

A. When I built my 7/10 system (separate ssd's installed manually into hot-swap bay) I followed these two guides:

1. simply the FSX install guide at FSDeveloper site to keep all the variations straight!

2. considerations for comprehensive approach to the OS setup as well as the FSX install by NickN.

B. when starting the install from disk watch for that little checkbox at the beginning that allows "Advanced Install" or "Custom Install". If you miss this, back up and get it checked or you will be locked into the default install location.

C. Sim component locations: The sim doesn't 'care' where you install scenery: the Scenery.cfg keeps track of that. I have scenery scattered across numerous drives as space is available. Most scenery is shared between FSX and P3D.

D. AI traffic is SCENERY. It can be placed in any active scenery folder and managed the same as you manage scenery (easy to turn on/off at will). It does NOT have to be all bunched up in Scenery\world\scenery - leave that space for stuff with installers like ORBX.

example

[Area.180]

Title=Ship traffic X

Local=Addon Scenery\AI Ship traffic X

Layer=234

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

E. Aircraft - I keep the aircraft folder for default aircraft only. Addon's and added AI models go in separate folders; doesn't matter where, you just have to specify their locations in the fsx.cfg

my cfg entry as example:

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=G:\AI_Boats

SimObjectPaths.7=G:\AI_Aircraft

SimObjectPaths.8=G:\Addon_Aircraft

I keep a limited number of 'active' aircraft here to reduce the sim load time; the other 300-plus working ac are in an unreferenced 'hangar' folder; I just drag n drop back and forth from the addon and hanger folder as needed.

F. I don't use alias sound/panel folders. I copy a full set of files in each aircraft so no A/C is dependent on the presence of another aircraft. I keep ALL gauges IN the aircraft panel folder; it is NOT essential to place addon gauges in the generic gauges folder.

G. Make a copy of the aircraft and panel config files so the original settings are still available if you do any editing. This also applies to the scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg and the standard.xml (keybindings)

H. there are multiple FSX folders. A few created links/shortcuts will save lots of time over the years

my desktop has a flight folder; in the FSX section are links to the

FSX.cfg in the appData\FSX folder

Cameras.cfg also in the C:\Users\Username\Microsoft\FSX

FSX.exe in the install G:\FSX folder

Standard.xml in the appData\FSX\Controls

Scenery.cfg in my C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX ( I installed for 'all users') - yours may be in YOUR user folder.

I. I always manually add addons to my sims. Except for ORBX, I don't allow any addon, automatic installer access to my sim folders. I force them to install to a dummy/empty/temporary folder.

J. I'm not a total 'neatnick' but it's a whole lot eastier to make changes when you can FIND the parameters in config files...

instead of scrambled config entries like this

[CameraDefinition.2]

Title = "Tail"

Guid = {D8D67955-2E9B-4e75-9D8B-8EFFBBFAC64A}

Description = Looking forward from the tip of the vertical stabilizer

Origin = Center

SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel

SnapPbhReturn = FALSE

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = FALSE

Track = None

ShowAxis = FALSE

AllowZoom = TRUE

InitialZoom = 0.60

ShowWeather = Yes

InitialXyz = 0, 2.0, -6.5

InitialPbh = 10, 0, 0

XyzAdjust = TRUE

Category=Aircraft

MomentumEffect=TRUE

ClipMode=Minimum

I gradually neaten thing up like so

[CameraDefinition.0]

Title = "Tail"

Guid = {fd9ad6d5-5841-4915-8f2c-7a3c668797b7}

Description = Looking forward from behind the aircraft

Origin = Center

Track = None

Category= cockpit // (user preference for use with Track IR)

MomentumEffect=FALSE

Transition = No

HotKeySelect = 9 // ctrl+5

SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel

SnapPbhReturn = FALSE

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = FALSE

PitchPanRate=15

HeadingPanRate=45

PanAcceleratorTime=0

AllowZoom = TRUE

InitialZoom = .90 // not 'initial' but rather the 'reset' value.

ZoomPanScalar = 1.0

SmoothZoomTime = 0.0

XyzAdjust = TRUE

XyzRate = 10

xyzAccelleratorTime = 0

ClipMode=Minimum

ShowAxis = FALSE

ShowWeather = Yes

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

InitialXyz = 0, 0.5, -18.0

InitialPbh = 2, 0, 0

K. Back up your install folder - just because!

good luck with the reinstall

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Thanks for the detailed reply Loyd. So far I have not read it completely.

The basic install went very well. One minor problem I encountered, I did not get the screen to activate Acceleration. Thanks to a search of the forum I was able to find the answer to that one.

Had a flight after installing Deluxe and activating. Shut down and had a little break. Installed Acceleration, got it activated. Had a short flight again. I didn't bother setting up the controls except for the default. I use FSUIPC full version for the controls.

My new install is on 2 new Disks. Op sys and programs on a 500g SSD, All data files and folders moved to a 3T spinning drive. Program folder is C:\FSX. FSUIPC is now installed. Am working on getting the settings in. I have three profiles for the controls. Connected I have a CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Stick, Thrustmaster Throttle and CH pedals. A lot of setting to get set up.

One little thing that has no effect on the sim, but is annoying as He 'double hockey sticks', I am getting a pop-up from Win 10 after shutting down about compatibility settings being adjusted. I am not running in compatibility mode. In the small window I have two options Run and Cancel I believe.

Trying to figure out what is prompting this message box. And how to stop it.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

My disk install is Win7 - I have FSX SE on my W10 OS - I don't recall if I had such a message on W10 but I can't see any downside to doing OK if it wants to run in some compatibility mode.

L

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Last couple of times that I closed out the sim the message did not appear. Easy come, easy go I guess. Have been editing some of the config files to get the sim back to what I had a couple of weeks ago.

I run a three monitor surround set-up, plus a networked laptop to run the weather, approach charts, flight planning, Little nave map and the online connections when necessary.

Thanks for your interest and your comments. Good to know a fellow is not alone in this hobby.

Just an update to say that all is up and running as it was before the repairs and updates.

The only Windows 10 issue that I really struggled with was sharing certain files/folders on the network. I spent a good few (many) hours reading and adjusting settings. I did finally get through Win 10 security and get all I needed shared, and computers talking on the network.

Thanks to those that chimed in to offer advice and encouragement.

Hal

Edited to add:

Just a note to those that are considering updating to Win 10, FSX runs fine. No set up issues. Installed and ran as it should. Activated online with no issues. Performance is similar to Win 7 but now loads much faster due to the SSD.

Edited by PEIRascal