wave animation question and better water textures?

I have the water slider turned all the way up and all other sliders that should affect water animation, but I'm not seeing wave movements. I'm flying FSX-SE with Steve's DX-10 fixer. Just wondering if that was from FS9 or am I just in the right place to see waves or what? It's a fresh install after a Windows error wiped me out and I can't remember now if it was there before or not. It's not a big thing, but since I primarily fly around the Gulf Coast, I'd like to see waves from time to time.

Also, is there a freeware set of water textures that makes them look better? Water Configurator doesn't work with DX10 and I loved that.

Hi Hossfly68,

If you are not seeing the wave animations you may need to refresh your Shaders10 Folder

Make a backup of your C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10 folder save to a safe location in case you wish to restore.

then delete the Shaders10 folder from C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\

FSX will rebuild the Shaders10 files & folders when FSX is run (Take a flight to refresh the file fx sets).

FSWC Lite v1.0 works with FSX DX10, but only the Lite version. Wave animations, if you mean the "shore break" is a little irregular/infrequent, but the DX10 wave enhancements (for swell, whitecaps & wave direction should all show properly under DX10 fixer).

"Quote - FSWC Lite readme -

FS Water Configurator Lite

By Orion Lyau for Striking Software

FSWC Lite is a small program which enables people who cannot run the main FS Water Configurator program to still benefit from our enhanced shaders and presets. It features a simple interface to enable swapping in and out of the FSWC preset shader files. It also features a special "preview" FSWC+ DirectX 10 shader file with all the new features coming in FSWC+.

Please check our forum for all the latest information

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/forum

Features:

- FSWC Preset Shaders

- FSWC+ DX10 preview shader

- Fully automated shader replacement

- Backup and restore functionality

End Quote"

The water can also be enhanced with Gizmos Wave Animation "Water Normals" 4096x4096 enhanced wave textures, he has a special set for DX10.

You should have a FSX default set in your Root FSX installation dir \Texture folder,

search for OceanHeight20Field

These FSX default animations under DX10 will be reasonably good.

OceanHeight20FieldLayer.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer1.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer2.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer3.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer4.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer5.dds

OceanHeight20FieldHigh.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLow.bmp

"Quote - from Gizmo's readme file -

4096x4096 water normals mod (oct 08 version)

Designed for FSX DX10 but can be used in DX9 it just doesnt look as good !

Back up the following FSX textures first!

all can be found in

x:\FSX install dir\Texture

OceanHeight20FieldHigh.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer1.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer2.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer3.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer4.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer5.dds

Then just extract this zip file to your FSX install folder keeping the path option on

overwrite all files (you did back a backup right?)

This is a WIP beta so i still need to fix a few things

Enjoy

Gizmo

End Quote"

Now here's the problem with what I wrote above, "Striking Software" have disappeared and so the FSWC Lite and Gizmos Wave Animation software were on that site, I don't know if they have been uploaded somewhere else, but I'll do a search and report back if I can find them.

Edited by jethrom

Found my waves. They just weren't very prominent. Thanks for the instructions to find the waves though. Somebody will eventually need them (maybe even me!) and they'll be here for posterity.

I found FSWC Lite somewhere last night, but didn't think it would work so I bypassed it. Time to backtrack for a bit and explore some more.

The best waves I’ve seen are in my REX program. I bought the original version way back when and I can customize the water colors, wave intensity, etc.

Well worth the low price!

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I have the water slider turned all the way up and all other sliders that should affect water animation, but I'm not seeing wave movements. I'm flying FSX-SE with Steve's DX-10 fixer. Just wondering if that was from FS9 or am I just in the right place to see waves or what? It's a fresh install after a Windows error wiped me out and I can't remember now if it was there before or not. It's not a big thing, but since I primarily fly around the Gulf Coast, I'd like to see waves from time to time.

Also, is there a freeware set of water textures that makes them look better? Water Configurator doesn't work with DX10 and I loved that.

I didn't think FSX could run in DX-10. Most I've read don't use