Looking for Bush Flying Club suggestions in the U.S. Pacifc Northwest

tinman

I was very active in the way past with flying small planes in the Pacific NW (PNW) in a great club associated with Emma Field and flew on line with a great friendly group 4-5 times a week. We would always log on to their MP and Team Speak and have a great time flying around and talking about most stuff. I have since grounded myself and now find the time to pick up a hobby I really enjoyed.

Emma Field is gone now, from what I have read, but I still would like to join a flying club that likes to fly in the PNW with small planes.

Over the past few months I have started learning what has changed in the sim flying world and see there are LOTS of new changes. When I was flying last, X-Plane did seem very big (I flew FS 2002 and then 2004 and a quick jump into FSX before I stopped), now there's P3v4 something, and FSX Steam. I have FSX and tried FSX SE and still weight my options. Does anyone have any advice on those?

My concern in going to FSX SE is the Orbx scenery I already have for FSX as well as a few favorite planes. I'm thinking I'll need to buy the FSX SE versions if I make the jump to Steam, if it will be worth it. I like flying the Captain Sim C-130 (I'm retired USAF and always loved that plane) and think it will be OK in FSX SE without buying another version. (It has good speed but can still get into the small bush fields... I imagine the people at the real field wouldn't like a C-130 landing there, but this is for fun, right).

Anyone know of a good bush flying club in the PNW that's friendly. I'm not thinking about a virtual airline. I'm seeing there maybe good scenery and chance for flights up the coast into the lower part of AK. (Capt Sim even has a float variant of the C-130 but don't think it's a real version :-) ). Looking for someplace that has a MP server and a voice comm platform.

Thanks for any suggestions

Mark "Tinman" Hansen

Hope this helps you Mark, there are two C-130s here that I use and they seem most realistic to me. File names are:

alpha_c130_fsx.zip or fs2004_fsx_p3d_airlift_international_lockheed_l_100.zip.

I was a C-130D Crew Chief with a lot of flight time at Elmendorf AFB. AK. 1967-1970.

Steve White

I was very active in the way past with flying small planes in the Pacific NW (PNW) in a great club associated with Emma Field and flew on line with a great friendly group 4-5 times a week. We would always log on to their MP and Team Speak and have a great time flying around and talking about most stuff. I have since grounded myself and now find the time to pick up a hobby I really enjoyed.

Emma Field is gone now, from what I have read, but I still would like to join a flying club that likes to fly in the PNW with small planes.

Over the past few months I have started learning what has changed in the sim flying world and see there are LOTS of new changes. When I was flying last, X-Plane did seem very big (I flew FS 2002 and then 2004 and a quick jump into FSX before I stopped), now there's P3v4 something, and FSX Steam. I have FSX and tried FSX SE and still weight my options. Does anyone have any advice on those?

My concern in going to FSX SE is the Orbx scenery I already have for FSX as well as a few favorite planes. I'm thinking I'll need to buy the FSX SE versions if I make the jump to Steam, if it will be worth it. I like flying the Captain Sim C-130 (I'm retired USAF and always loved that plane) and think it will be OK in FSX SE without buying another version. (It has good speed but can still get into the small bush fields... I imagine the people at the real field wouldn't like a C-130 landing there, but this is for fun, right).

Anyone know of a good bush flying club in the PNW that's friendly. I'm not thinking about a virtual airline. I'm seeing there maybe good scenery and chance for flights up the coast into the lower part of AK. (Capt Sim even has a float variant of the C-130 but don't think it's a real version :-) ). Looking for someplace that has a MP server and a voice comm platform.

Thanks for any suggestions

Mark "Tinman" Hansen

Hi Tinman - I'm probably not the best person to reply to your post but didn't see much in replies for you. I joined a VA who is specific to Alaska - Here's the link to their group. https://www.flyaka.com/ They have a discord channel also but they don't seem to fly much together. That's why I am not active in the group, I fly some of the routes they put together. I know there was talk of a C-130 suppose to be one of their free aircraft so I'm sure you could fly you Captain Sim C-130.

As for ORBX & FSX-SE, they both work well together. I have allot of ORBX & I fly FSX Steam Edition. I also have the old box edition which I don't use. Good luck & if you do find a Bush Flying group, be sure to share. I tried & made a few post looking for a Bush Flying Group to join but never got any responses for one.

Hi Tinman. If your Orbx scenery is registered there, all you have to do is go to their website, download and install their FTX3 program. It will list any Orbx programs that you have purchased, and allow you to download and install them in your available and compatible simulations AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE! FSX scenery can be installed in FSX-SE and P3D.

Sorry - I can't help with your other questions.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Welcome back Tinman. Wow if the last time you were simming was way back when Emma Field was active (and it sure was), it has been a loooong time, ha!

I'm surprised there isn't more activity when it comes to bush flying or maybe I'm like you and just haven't found the right site. Couple of ideas...

A new flight sim is coming "Deadstick Simulator" so that may generate interest.

A new Emma Field was in the works years ago. I saw some development shots that looked superb but I guess it got shelved. Too bad. Surprised no one has taken up on it since.

A site/forums I came across was called "Got Bush" with all things dedicated to bush flying. Seemed a little quiet though.

Alaska Winds was another but haven't been there in ages.

'Return To Misty Moorings' is probably the most active site I have found regarding bush so I would check them out.

Hope that helps...

Clutch