FSX and Windows 10

watchur6

I have a new machine with W10 on it. I have just installed X Plane and am struggling to learn it. So, I decided to install FSX as well on this machine. The install was smooth and went to EOJ with no errors. Product key was accepted and programs activated, or so I thought. When I look for FSX, I can't find it. I used the W10 file explorer and found it with a file structure the same as I had on W7. I found the execute app but it will not execute. I then ran the repair routine and it to went to EOJ with no errors. But it still will not execute. Anyone have any thoughts on this?. I am sure it is a W10 thing but have no idea what.

Since Win 7 MS have introduced a security called UAC (User Account Control) that ties down certain areas, including the default location that FSX installs to (C:\Program Files (x86)\………..) and cause the issue that you are experiencing. In Win 10 UAC seems to be a lot more stringent. That said, it appears to be hit and miss as to who is affected by it. There are many users who have installed FSX into the default location and have no problems.

First thing to do is to try and run the sim using Admin rights - go the FSX folder and find the FSX.exe file. Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.

If the sim starts and works OK you can close the sim, go back to the FSX.exe file and right click on it again and select the Send To > Desktop (create shortcut) option - this will place a shortcut onto the desktop.

Once you have the desktop icon right click on it and select Properties - a new window will be displayed. It will default to the General tab. Select the Compatibility tab and then click on the square box located to the left of the Run this program as an administrator option. Click Apply and this will permanently set the program to run in Admin mode.

As this is a new Win 10 install, you may also wish to consider the info I have posted in this post - basically Win 10 does not ship with some of the required 'libraries' that FSX needs to run and this may also be the reason why you have the problem. Downloading/installing the suggested items may be beneficial.

If FSX still fails to start, or you get error message post back to the thread.

Regards

Brian

Just in case you don't know where FSX is, it's in C:>Program Files (x86)>Steam>steamapps>common>FSX

Then the exe should be in that folder. You could also try right clicking the FSX exe, and select "Run" or "Open" or whatever.

I've been an experienced FSX player for two years now, and an enthusiast forever. Be sure to check out my blog on here, I blog daily about everything aviation!

Specs: Windows 10, Intel Celeron CPU J1900 1.99 GHz, 1993 Mhz, RAM 4 GB, Intel HD Graphics

When I upgraded to Win10 I had to start FSX as admin, the strange thing is I no longer need to do it, don't know why.

I also notice when I download any aircraft there are lots of gaps in the aircraft.cfg, I know the sim doesn't read spaces but I like them to look neat so I close them up.

This has only happened since I went on W10.

Just in case you don't know where FSX is, it's in C:>Program Files (x86)>Steam>steamapps>common>FSX.....

This location IS the correct DEFAULT install location for the Steam version BUT not for the boxed version install.

The boxed version which, based on the OPs initial info regarding the activation process is what he/she has, installs by default into C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Regards

Brian

Archived