Monitor Questions

sal

I got out of flight simming in 2007. I am in the process of reentering the hobby and plan to use X-Plane 11. I am purchasing a PC with:

*Intel i-5 8500 processor

*16 gigs RAM

*500 gig SSD hard drive

*Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics

I am confused over what size and type of monitor to get. I have limited space, but could accommodate up to a 27" monitor, and plan to use a single monitor configuration. My non-gaming PC has 23" screen and it works fine from a general size perspective. But I was thinking a larger flight sim screen would provide added immersion.

Given the average frame rates of X-Plane, I thought a 27" IPS 1920x1080 might be perfect, and assumed lower refresh rate monitors (60hz-75hz) should not be a problem.

But I have been reading that pixel density is considered a little low on 27" 1920x1080 monitors, and they can show pixels and look fuzzy in games. Do you concur? Does it make more sense to stay with a 24" 1920x1080, or consider a 27" 1440x1920? The monitor will be located on my desk, so I will be sitting about an arms length away from it.

If I go with a higher resolution monitor like a 1440x1920, will that drain resources from the graphics card unnecessarily, or is it roughly the same workload for graphics performance regardless of monitor resolution?

My knowledge of gaming systems is pretty limited, so any input you could offer is appreciated.

sal

I am doing the same thing. The more i read the more confusing i get. I am looking at curve 32" there are a lot of good and bad about them. I am going to stay with 1920x1080 if I can.

Dan

As a P-51 pilot said :pilot: "She Climbs Like A Home Sick Angel":pilot:

• 2 weeks later...

"FYI" Just bought from Office Depot a 23" LG Model# 32MP58HQ-P for $203.29 with tax. When I got it set up and flying, not a great picture but ok. Went on LG web site and found I need a driver. Download and installed and WOW!!! what a deference. Flying is great. Bigger is better.

Dan

As a P-51 pilot said :pilot: "She Climbs Like A Home Sick Angel":pilot:

Archived