AFCAD's And Installed Scenery Clash Query

eddywinch82

Hi there,

Do AFCAD Files installed, In the Addon Scenery\Scenery Folder, and sometimes a corresponding objects File, in the Scenery\Objects\scenery Folder in FSX, clash with installed Airport Scenery, either Freeware or Payware Addon Scenery ? If they are for, the same Airport in FSX ? Or does the Addon Scenery installed, and in the Scenery Library, take priority over those AFCAD Files ?

The reason I am asking, is because I want to bulk install, some of Ray Smith's Excellent AFCAD Files, that vastly improve, the default airports in FSX. But I have over 100 Airports, some Payware and Freeware, installed in FSX, in the Addon Scenery Folder. And it will take ages for me, to delete all of Ray Smith's AFCAD's, that I allready have a corresponding Airport installed for, once the AFCAD's are installed.

Eddie

If I understand correctly, you want to use the/a/your collection of Ray Smith airport files that enhance default airports but ONLY where there are no other airport upgrades already installed? And that all the stuff you have already is installed (collectively) inside the Addon Scenery Folder.

So if you put all of RS's airports also in a similar assembly (within a single encompassing folder) you can put them anywhere (including inside addon Scenery) but keep them BELOW the previously installed files in the Scenery Library window (lower priority) then they should update the currently default airports but be superceded by the older addon files

Library order

1 \addon scenery (payware and such)....near or at the top of the list

121 \addon scenery\RaySmithAFCADS..... lower in priority than the "good stuff" but above default stuff.

or

121 D:\addonScenery\RaySmith....doesn't matter where you put them

122 original files

123 original files

124 etc

The sim does not care where scenery is physically located just what the priorities are.

Hope this helps

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Hi Lloyd, Many thanks, for your very helpful information. Most of these AFCAD files, come with an obj I.e. Object File, that goes into the Scenery/Global/scenery Folder in FSX. Can those files remain, in that Folder ? Or will they have to be moved, to another Folder ?

Eddie

Good question.... the reason for placing files in this (and other specific folders - such as scenery\world\scenery) is likely to guarantee their needed priority). The folder already has many object collections so this is the most logical place for it. However, if you are the least bit paranoid, uncertain or just want to be able to 'control' these new contents you could place them in a newly created folder set such as one named (Scenery\Global2\scenery and Scenery\Global2\texture, for instance) and set their priority JUST ABOVE the original Global priority. I can't imagine that it would make any difference in their effect. In my scenery.cfg the Global folder is set to priority 132 so I would set this new folder to priority 131. This specific number depends on the total number of sceneries already added but Global is just above the cities of Rio and Las Vegas - just about midway down the list for me. By adding the new stuff to a new folder, if there's any suspicion of a problem you can simply disable that specific folder (for testing) without having to dig about and physically moving the new files out of the standard folder; make it easy to troubleshoot if need be...

Hope this helps.

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

• 2 weeks later...

Archived